Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

the mighty mustang GT vs. SNOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:08 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: the mighty mustang GT vs. SNOW

I live in Fargo, ND.....so don't expect Chicago to hold much of a candle to what I'll be expecting. It's basically winter 9 months here and I took my drivers test in a snow-storm so I am quite good at driving in it....(don't mean to toot my horn)

I have an option to drive my mothers 95 oldsmobile for the winter, but not sure if I want to give up the stang because of some slipperyness(new word...look it up)

Just remember....POWER OVER - if those front tires start to push in the corners like a snow plow, POWER OVER and you'll be headed in the right direction.....well, at least until you've done a 180 and facing the traffic that WAS behind you.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:09 PM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

I got caught at work here in Denver with a decent amount of snow on the ground and as long as you can baby the take off, you should be good. I was actually impressed because people at work were making it sound as though you couldn't drive in the snow at all. Now if you do get dumped on, then a 4x4 would be needed. I guess it depends on where you live and how much snow you get. The only advantage to me about driving an all wheel or 4 wheel drive in the snow is that you can accelerate faster than 2 wheel drive. Just take it slow.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:17 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

If it snows bad enough; im staying home. Work and school can kiss my A$$. what a couple hunder bucks for snow tires when you could crash ur 30 THOUSAND DOLLAR CAR
Old 10-23-2006, 08:47 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Pray that it is a mild winter. I have owned Mustang GT's off and on since 1982. Most I've driven year round. Since 1995, I've come to the conclusion that I was not going to chance mild winters. You need a second car, whether it's a beater, or good front or awd car. Hopefully it will be a mild winter. I'd recommend you make it a priority to get a winter beater next year. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:48 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

Here is a semi low cost option. Dayton Winterforce (215/65 16') snow tires $64.00 dollors each Tire Rack. $52.00 16' Steel wheels for the rear. The rear brakes are the same size V-6 or V-8. $232.00 for a pair total, plus shipping. Alot better than the $500.00 plus they want for 17 inch ones. Yes your speedo will be a little off. But then again you will be shifting a little of the center weight. To the rear where you want it.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
20AnniGT

Good driving conditions = take the Mustang.

Poor driving conditions (Offroad Mud & Hills) = take the Ford F150 4x4 King Ranch

Poor driving conditions (Rain, Ice, or Snow) = take the Subaru Forester.

Good luck.

(we don't get a lot of ice & snow in S.Texas, but we DO travel a bit!! The Subaru gets the nod for just about any winter trip north of Texas)
Old 10-24-2006, 12:49 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

You have a better chance of beating a ford gt in your stock mustang gt then beating the snow....

Take a bus or quit your job so you dont have to drive in it...
Old 10-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

I don't think the Mustang is your problem. Trying to drive in 6" of snow without a reasonable tire is the problem.

With some reasonable tires and some weight in the back the Stang will go until the snow gets deeper than the car has ground clearance.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

I haven't had a chance to drive my 'Stang in the snow, but snow-driving common sense applies no matter what you drive. Drive slow, and don't gunnit. Remember that brakes suck in snow and that they don't work on ice at all. The only four-letter-word you can utter that doesn't come with a price-tag, is "home."

Seriously, though...if there's six inches of snow, find every excuse you can NOT to drive. Tell yer boss yer not coming in until the roads are cleared. He/She's not gonna risk your life just for waiting an hour or two. If they do, quit. You life isn't worth the timetable of a moron.

If you absolutely must, go WAY below the speed limit, stay to the right, and sometimes flashers are a good thing to turn on, just for added visability. Remember, it's also no so much your driving, as the driving of others on the road. Just because you're doing fine, doesn't mean some clod-brain ricer isn't out there barreling down the icy road speeding.

Snow-tires are an extreme, but prudent if you get a lot of snow and ice. All-season tires won't cut it. They're good for slight-wet, and maybe frost. Snow-tires are designd to grip snow-covered and icy roads. They won't save you from stupid driving, and you still have to go slow, but they have that little extra bit of grip for peace-of-mind.

A 'Stang on the driveway is better than a 'Stang on the wrecker...especially if your corpse is frozen inside it. [:'(]
Old 10-24-2006, 03:36 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

sorry but I agree with some on here!
Risk a $30K car because you can't afford good quality winter tires? Not the best decision to make! I don't know if 'studded' tires are legal where you are. But We ran 235/45/17 Pirelli Winter Carving studded tires last year on our car and I'll be putting them on again this tomorrow as it snowed today. No they are not the cheapest but we were able to get around all we wanted last winter. (yes it was a mild winter for Alaska standards but we did get a few dumps where I pushed snow leaving my driveway) Maybe save some money and get good tires you and your car are worth it! 05SDI

Quick Reply: the mighty mustang GT vs. SNOW