Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

the mighty mustang GT vs. SNOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:48 PM
dbvettez06
1st Gear Member

Default RE: the mighty mustang GT vs. SNOW

Have fun and make sure you have accident forgiveness
Old 10-24-2006, 06:50 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteStallion06

You have a better chance of beating a ford gt in your stock mustang gt then beating the snow....

Take a bus or quit your job so you dont have to drive in it...
i can tell this advice comes from someone with a p.h.d...yeah, quit my job and lose my car, or take a bus (which rarely run outside the city) the 40 miles to my job. what a great idea...why didn't i think of that? wow...

anyway, i found out studded tires are illegal, as are chains. not like i have the money to buy winter tires. oh well, i guess i am going to have to pray that the plows hit the streets on snowy days before i do...otherwise i'm s.o.l. my job (IT consultant) requires tons of driving to our customers and in retrospect a mustang GT is probably not the best car for a chicago winter.

oh well i think i'm gonna pray for good plowing and/or light snow this winter...
Old 10-24-2006, 07:40 PM
tuco

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

ORIGINAL: WhiteStallion06

You have a better chance of beating a ford gt in your stock mustang gt then beating the snow....

Take a bus or quit your job so you dont have to drive in it...
i can tell this advice comes from someone with a p.h.d...yeah, quit my job and lose my car, or take a bus (which rarely run outside the city) the 40 miles to my job. what a great idea...why didn't i think of that? wow...

anyway, i found out studded tires are illegal, as are chains. not like i have the money to buy winter tires. oh well, i guess i am going to have to pray that the plows hit the streets on snowy days before i do...otherwise i'm s.o.l. my job (IT consultant) requires tons of driving to our customers and in retrospect a mustang GT is probably not the best car for a chicago winter.

oh well i think i'm gonna pray for good plowing and/or light snow this winter...
If you drive 40 miles to work, use your GT for "tons of driving to our customers" and need your car a year-round daily driver; AND you don't have a few hundred dollars for snow tires, you are taking on a lot of risk to yourself, your car, and others lives and property. If you can't afford decent equipment on your car (tires), maybe you can't afford the car?

Your neck in the end.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:57 PM
cyberjock4hire
1st Gear Member

I would not drive this car in the snow without winter tires, the ones with the mountain and snowflake logo on them. It is bad enough on the stock tires during the rain. I got through last winter in NY with no problems at all. The car felt sure footed with Dunlop winter sports.
If you can not afford winter tires, walk or take public transportation, pray for a mild winter but you will be asking for trouble if you do not take the right precautions.
If I was in your neighborhood, I would give you a ride, but I am not so all I can give is advice based upon my experience, don't chance it.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:41 AM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

If you don't have the money for snow tires, then you definately don't have the money for a new car...or at least, new bodywork. Snow-tires aren't cheap, but they aren't expensive either. If you don't have the cash, throw'em on yer credit card. You can get a good set of snow tires, WITH rims, for around $500. Probably cheaper if you looked harder than I did.

As for driving in the snow...the dangers of snow driving are something your boss should understand, but your choice of car is your bit too. If you only get snow once in a while, or the roads are usually cleared up, your boss shouldn't have any problem with you hanging late on fresh-snow drops. If not, you really have only two options: quit and find another job, or do the best you can until you can quit and find another job. Or buy a second vehicle.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:10 AM
vistablue2007
1st Gear Member

Stang in the snow? Don't think so, my crappy s-10 jimmy is my winter ride.
Goes in the snow beautifully, that is until stopping is required
Save up a couple grand for a 4x4, its worth it. And no, reliability is not a problem if you shop carefully.
I drive mine 70mi every day.[8D]
Old 10-28-2006, 01:21 AM
KIMMER
1st Gear Member

Man if you can't afford a winter vehicle then you should never have bought this car. Even if you have to work some OT or do some odd jobs, you can scrape up enough money for a beater toyota 4x4 to drive in the winter. Normally I drive my 05 F250 CC diesel or the wifes 04 trailblazer, but I just got ahold of a 89 toyota 4x4 for free and had to put an engine in it. I have $700 into it with motor and tires, plus it will get 24mpg, so this is what i'll be driving this winter. If they would allow us to make our yamaha rhino's street legal in michigan I would drive that...lol. Anyways, you can get some yota's on ebay for under $600 that run. $600 now is cheaper than paying the deductable or the remainder of your loan off when you wreck your stang this winter.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:56 AM
dvsmgt500

ORIGINAL: vistablue2007

Stang in the snow? Don't think so, my crappy s-10 jimmy is my winter ride.
Goes in the snow beautifully, that is until stopping is required
Save up a couple grand for a 4x4, its worth it. And no, reliability is not a problem if you shop carefully.
I drive mine 70mi every day.[8D]

I'm with you Vistablue, My old '88 F-150 is the only thing in my house that has some fun in the snow. But if you absolutely had to drive the 'stang in the bad weather but a little weight in the trunk. you would be suprised how much it helps. Before the '07 GT i had a '94 cougar XR7 and it was horrendous in the snow, threw about 150lbs in the back and it made a world of difference.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:39 AM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

We got dumped on(around 6 inches). The Stang did really good. You just have to roll into it. I don't plan on driving it all winter, but if you have to, it'll do just as good and any other non 4x4. You really have to have a soft touch with the accleration.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:50 PM
blueV6
1st Gear Member

lol u guys r a bunch of PUSSIEs... im drivin my 6er all winter here and i dont even have a posi. honestly its not hard at all... just dont hammer throtles goin around corners and just start out in second gear and your done.. honestly the only time i have trouble is when im trying to start up in a couple inches of unplowed snow.. and thats only because again i dont have posi.. oh and also up here we have REAL winters lol.. namelly couple feet of snow and -40.. so stop worrin and just drive your car in winter.. it will make u a better driver in the process

Quick Reply: the mighty mustang GT vs. SNOW