Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:42 PM
saleen06

Default RE: newbie question

Ok, I think to make it easy for myself, I am going to get the one you mentioned. Not because of the money, but because I don't know a darn thing about cars and I know if I start messing with a tuner, I will break some stuff, which I don't want to do
Old 10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
saleen06

When you said tune, did you mean just a tuner or another CAI that requires tuning? So is thier anything on this Saleen that doesn't need to be replaced?????
Old 10-25-2006, 10:05 PM
camscope

keep in mind that your cai will be usless after the supercharger unless you go with the saleen
Old 10-25-2006, 11:49 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

A few things to consider here.

First off, usually one mods their car to address shortcomings or to make it suit their desires better. Who cares what other people did to their car. What do YOU want to do with YOUR car?

The things discussed in this thread--CAIs, tuners, UDPs, exhaust...all that stuff...are common mods. But the whole point of a mod is to change something you don't like. If you don't have any gripes with the car, then don't mod it.

It seems like you might want some more HP. That's good.

As others have said, an intake is a good, basic, way to get that that.

However, I would like to urge caution regarding the Granatelli (or any other "tuneless" CAI). Here's why.

Tuneless CAIs have a specially calibrated sensor inside which tricks the car's onboard computer into injecting the proper amount of fuel. They work well, and they will give you decent gains. HOWEVER, they do NOT "play nice" with other mods. If you want to make only very minor mods to your car, then the Granatelli is a great choice. HOWEVER, if you decide that you want to get headers, or gears, or CMCP delete kit (all of which are common mods), then you NEED a tuner anyway, and then the price advantage of the Granatelli CAI disappears.

There is a reason why most people that are experienced with modding these mustangs recommend the Tuner + CAI as a first mod. The reason is not just the excellent gains. It is also becasue the TUNER is a building block for many other mods. It is also useful for diagnostic purposes, customizing various settings on your car, AND for getting maximum performance out of your transmission if you have an Automatic. A "tune-less" intake can't give you these things. And the tune-less CAIs don't play well with tuners.

My advice: if you don't want to buy both the tuner and CAI together, buy just the tuner. It will provide comporable gains to the Granatelli CAI (or better if you have an Auto trans), AND it will be far more useful for future mods you may consider.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:59 PM
carnut
1st Gear Member

ok look. im just assuming your going to go with a saleen supercharger because you have a saleen mustang. im not sure about this but it seems as if a C&L or JLT CAI would be able to connect to that superchagrer.

with that said you need to pick your mods carefully.
first off: dont get Under Drive Pulleys (UDP's). they wont get along well with your supercharger.

second: definitely go with a tuner. get a canned tune from brenspeed or the likes. you wont have to make any changes to the tune yourself and they will email you a new tune if you get a new mod like Long Tube Headers (L/T's).

third: considering you have a saleen mustang theres nothing visual you could really do so i would go with L/T's. these combined with a CAI and tune will put you over 300rwhp (more like 315).

so basically start off with the CAI and tune as your starter and then move onto the L/T's. these will maximize your supercharger when you get it!

Old 10-26-2006, 12:01 AM
carnut
1st Gear Member

nvm dont get axle backs. just remembered the saleens have the center exit exhaust! sorry.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:25 AM
saleen06

ok,

so I am truly beginning to understand all of this and I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONES HELP. crazyAl, you now opened up another can of worms for me, which tuner would be the best one to get, or is that a very general question and can only be based on my immediate needs, which are more horse power and performance. again this is my first mustang and just know that I want more HP immediately without spending the money for an SC right now.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

A few things to consider here.

First off, usually one mods their car to address shortcomings or to make it suit their desires better. Who cares what other people did to their car. What do YOU want to do with YOUR car?

The things discussed in this thread--CAIs, tuners, UDPs, exhaust...all that stuff...are common mods. But the whole point of a mod is to change something you don't like. If you don't have any gripes with the car, then don't mod it.

It seems like you might want some more HP. That's good.

As others have said, an intake is a good, basic, way to get that that.

However, I would like to urge caution regarding the Granatelli (or any other "tuneless" CAI). Here's why.

Tuneless CAIs have a specially calibrated sensor inside which tricks the car's onboard computer into injecting the proper amount of fuel. They work well, and they will give you decent gains. HOWEVER, they do NOT "play nice" with other mods. If you want to make only very minor mods to your car, then the Granatelli is a great choice. HOWEVER, if you decide that you want to get headers, or gears, or CMCP delete kit (all of which are common mods), then you NEED a tuner anyway, and then the price advantage of the Granatelli CAI disappears.

There is a reason why most people that are experienced with modding these mustangs recommend the Tuner + CAI as a first mod. The reason is not just the excellent gains. It is also becasue the TUNER is a building block for many other mods. It is also useful for diagnostic purposes, customizing various settings on your car, AND for getting maximum performance out of your transmission if you have an Automatic. A "tune-less" intake can't give you these things. And the tune-less CAIs don't play well with tuners.

My advice: if you don't want to buy both the tuner and CAI together, buy just the tuner. It will provide comporable gains to the Granatelli CAI (or better if you have an Auto trans), AND it will be far more useful for future mods you may consider.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:53 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

You have a saleen mustang right? cuz all saleens, supercharged or not come w/ saleens modds like intakes and pulleys:

by the looks of saleen webiste the base saleen all ready comes w/ a intake;exhaust;tune;ud pulley; that is why the base stang is pushing 335hp/345lb-ft instead of 300hp/320lb-ft

www.saleen.com

ENGINE
Type 4.6L, 3V, SOHC V-8
Bore and Stroke 3.55 x 3.54 in.
Displacement 4.6 liters, 281 cu in.
Accessory Pulleys Saleen Underdrive Pulleys
Exhaust System Saleen Stainless, 2.5 in. Variable Exhaust
Horsepower 335 bhp @ 5200 RPM
Torque 345 lb-ft @ 4500 RPM
Fuel Premium Unleaded 91 Octane
Intake Saleen Design Hi-Flow Inlet Tube and Air Box

If i saved up and got a saleen; the only aftermarket product i would put into it is saleen.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:11 AM
saleen06

So I am trippin? LOL I have no clue what I am doing
Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Well, OK. let's back up here.

First off, What car did you buy? Did you buy a Saleen or did you buy a regular mustang?

Quick Reply: newbie question