MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   newbie question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/197561-newbie-question.html)

saleen06 10-25-2006 07:46 PM

newbie question

I just bought my first mustang last Saturday. I would like to know some of the first mods I should do. I know this a loaded question so here is my criteria. Just paid allot of money on for the car, almost x-mas, just paid off a cruise that setup me being able to buy this car :). with that in mind please read the following.

1. I need to be very cost effective. Was looking at upgrading the air intake. From my limited knowledge about cars, I was thinking about going with K&N, because I don't know of anyoe else :).

2. Someone mentioned headers, I don't even know what headers are :).

3. so basically the only mod I can come up with on my owm is the air intake, I know it is sad.

If anyone has some suggestions, I welcome them. by the way I will get the Super charger upgrade next year, because that is not cheap.

BlackBetty 10-25-2006 07:52 PM

RE: newbie question

A good first mod for most people is the air intake and a tuner. I've got a JLT II air intake with the SCT Xcalibrator tuner. Another popular intake is one made by C&L. This is an easy installation and worth 20-30 hp. Definitely get a tuner with the intake, it makes all the difference.

Headers are the pipes that combine the exhaust from 4 holes to one (one header on each side of the engine). These then link up to your exhaust pipes. From what I've read you really have to go with long-tube headers to see an appreciable power gain.

saleen06 10-25-2006 07:59 PM

Ok so my idea of modding the air intake wasn't that bad :), at least I feel some what better. What about AME, are they a reputable company for intakes? I am completly new to this, so forgive my questions. I have heard you have to some knowledge of cars before you attempt to mess with a tuner. I don't even know how to change the oil :). I have called triple AAA to change a tire when my car was in the garage, I am very clueless. But ask me how to get networks to talk to each other across the world with the best possible redundant path with the least amount of latency, I could tell you in a second :).

Haze28 10-25-2006 08:01 PM

If you don't want to spend alot for an intake, go with the Granatelli cold air intake. You don't need to buy a tuner along with it, and it still provides almost the same power.
Since your planning on buying a super charger in the near future you might consider holding off on the performance mods and just buy a few little things to make the car look better. Some blowers won't allow you to use other CAI kits with them.
Oh and one other thing, Long-tube headers will be kinda pricey so this isn't the way to go if you don't want to spend alot of money. But like Blackbetty said, long-tube headers are the only ones that will give you any noticable gain.

Haze28 10-25-2006 08:07 PM

Almost forgot one other option, if you would like to just get your car to sound better, look into getting a new axelback exhaust, Semi-cheap and puts a smile on your face when you hit the gas. That was the first thing I did to my car.

saleen06 10-25-2006 08:11 PM

It will sound better than the exhuast that comes on the stock saleens?

saleen06 10-25-2006 08:45 PM

ok, so I have reserached some of the air intakes mentioned and I like the C&L, however it states I should buy a tuner along with it " A matter of fact they recomend buying thier complete package which is like 700.00. I thought I would spend like 400.00 at the very max for this Mod, is my thinking cap on inside out? Upon reseraching other manufactures and somewhat edumacating myself, it almost sounds as if I should have a tuner even for such a simple mod. I am most likely going to buy a new intake system, now I am confused n which to buy. the following reason are why " I think" I should buy. Please correct me if I am wrong

1. Better performance, which I want. I feel as though you are really only sqeezing out a lil hp, so do I really get involved with what each vendor states as the increase?
2. A lil better fuel efficancy.

Haze28 10-25-2006 09:05 PM

Check this out,

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...maf-satin.html

This is one of the very few intakes that you don't need a tuner with. Because of the computer in the mustang, when you put an intake on without a tune you won't see any gains and it might even run worse. The Granatelli intake has a caliberated MAF sensor and it works very well without the tuner. You might want to call and check if it will work on a Saleen, i'm not sure what kind of changes they did to the motor on the Saleen.

silvermaster92 10-25-2006 09:07 PM

I cant breath without smileys....:):D[8D];)[&:][:@]:([:'(][>:][:o][X(][:-]:eek:[&o]

to answer your question, Get a CAI AND A good tune to start you off in the mods buisness

Apoptosis 10-25-2006 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: saleen06

Ok so my idea of modding the air intake wasn't that bad :), at least I feel some what better. What about AME, are they a reputable company for intakes? I am completly new to this, so forgive my questions. I have heard you have to some knowledge of cars before you attempt to mess with a tuner. I don't even know how to change the oil :). I have called triple AAA to change a tire when my car was in the garage, I am very clueless. But ask me how to get networks to talk to each other across the world with the best possible redundant path with the least amount of latency, I could tell you in a second :).
You can skip the tuner for awile and still pick up a CAI that will offer a 25rwHP gain.

1st mod should be a tuneless CAI, then a tune, UDP's, then gears, headers, short shifter, etc, etc.