Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need some help (ASAP.)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Need some help (ASAP.)

I'm installing my pulleys, and I removed the nut to the Alternator bracket on the driver's side, but there is like a stud... Before I go smacking anything, how do I get it out so I can replace it with the supplied bolt? Thanks.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need some help (ASAP.)

When my pullys were installed they took a hammer and broke it off. Yes this is the truth.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Rench
1st Gear Member

Menace, if you have a pair of vise grips just clamp them on the end of the stud and it should come out pretty easy. It just screws out like a bolt. At least the bolt came with your pullies...............
Old 10-26-2006, 10:36 PM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

I just got mine delivered and just read through the instructions. Nothing about breaking anything off... Terrific. This should be fun.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I say screw the bolt they gave you.. I'm not even sure how the hell that bolt is supposed to work... Just cut off enough from the end to give the pulley room so it doesn't rub... Took a while to find a grinder, but I think someone mentioned a dremel tool should work. I started it up and there is an increase in belt noise... The belt looks like it's working find... not sure if this is normal and the belt just needs to get used to it? It doesn't sound like a squeek, it's just louder...
Old 10-27-2006, 12:29 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace
I say screw the bolt they gave you..
The engine bay of your car is not a place to take care of anger namagement issues

Though pulling a donor engine out of a rustbucket 70's car with a torch and an impact wrench can be cathartic...

Use vicegrips or 2 nuts tightened against eachother to pull a stud. Pulley noise can be normal depending on the bearing and/or pulley material, but just thought I would mention somewhere out there was a mention of pullies with no lubricant in the bearing (bad batch)...

I cannot remember what kit, but it is worth searching around to see if that is the source of your noise...

Also, some belts make more noise than others (cross cut vs continuous ribs) - is this a new belt or the same?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:03 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I didn't bother replacing the stud at all. Just cut the stud shorter using a cut-off disc on a dremel or a die grinder. Takes 30 seconds....
Old 10-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Johnnie D
2nd Gear Member

the end of the stud is shapped and will take a socket, just wrench it out...i forgot what size it is buts its small...mine came right out
Old 10-27-2006, 01:14 PM
mustseetang

A safe way to do it is it put 2 nuts on and jam them so that you can remove it like a regular bolt and it's easy... Remember 2 nuts and jam them the inside nut will act like a bolt head.