Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just when I thought i got the best custom tuner...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:12 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default Just when I thought i got the best custom tuner...

well i was just checking sct flash site and i found that they had this NEW programmer that is really looks great

http://www.sctlivewire.com/lwmain.php ( link attacher not working plz copy paste * sorry * )

And please tell me that there is no diffrence but just the looks... Heck even if looks that programmer looks way cooler..
Old 10-29-2006, 10:58 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just when I thought i got the best custom tuner...

looks like it was built for ricers..
Old 10-29-2006, 12:04 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Remember that a tuner is just a TOOL that copies a tune file onto the car. (Just like how a DVD player plays a movie). The Tune file is where the perfromance comes from, and it doesn't matter what the tuner looks like. (Same with a DVD player...your movie looks the same regardless of what player you use).

The livewire looks like like it does the same things as the regular SCT-II, but instead of requiring a laptop for datalogging, it shows you the numbers realtime. However, I don't think that's useful at all. You can't make tuning choices based on a constantly-changing realtime display.

This product is just flashy "jewlry" extras on top of the same functions as the other tuners.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:53 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Someone needs to develop a tuner that puts the odometer to whatever you want it set at. That will be the hottest selling tuner ever and well worth the price!
Old 10-29-2006, 02:57 PM
06SSGT
1st Gear Member

That looks pretty sweet. And it looks like it does a lot more than just load tunes.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:13 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

It does exactly the same as what the normal SCT tuner does. This one just has a fancy screen on it.

The normal SCT-II can already be used for data logging and making the various adjustments this one can.

However, that is really just a minor detail. Remember that the PRIMARY function of the tuner is simply to copy an updated tune file onto the car. The other functions aren't going to get used by 95% of their customers.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:56 PM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

Someone needs to develop a tuner that puts the odometer to whatever you want it set at. That will be the hottest selling tuner ever and well worth the price!
[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 10-29-2006, 11:37 PM
06SSGT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

It does exactly the same as what the normal SCT tuner does. This one just has a fancy screen on it.

The normal SCT-II can already be used for data logging and making the various adjustments this one can.

However, that is really just a minor detail. Remember that the PRIMARY function of the tuner is simply to copy an updated tune file onto the car. The other functions aren't going to get used by 95% of their customers.
What about displaying the A/F ratio and calculating the HP? My Xcal-2 doesn't do that! It also displays boost, estimates 1/4 mile times? AFAIK I can't do that with my Xcal-2 either! LOL!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:04 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Your Xcal-2 can already datalog. Read up on it at the SCT website.

You need to download their software (free) and hook it up to a PC, however. Here is the link where you can get the free software: http://www.sctflash.com/downloads.php. This software is very powerful and is much more useful than the instantaneous display of the Livewire.

The main appeal of this new tuner (livewire) is that you don't have to use a PC to see the data.

However, I would contend that in the end you need a PC anyway. An instantaneous value doesn't do you very much good. The datalogging feature where the data is SAVED so you can study it later and can compare data in charts is what is really useful. If you can't plot one variable versus another--which entails logged data--he device is basically useless (unless you want it for the "Cool factor" and don't actually intend on doing any real tuning with it)

Estimating 0-60 or 1/4 mile times is a joke. First off it's not very accurate. Second, even if you don't care about that, you can do it easily without this device. There are many web sites that have free online "calculators" to help you estimate 1/4 times, 60-foot times, 0-60 times, and so on.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonic3v

Its built with the self tuner in mind.

Hey guys,

This is the newest component available from SCT soon, the official release date is Sema and from there they'll tell us when they plan on shipping them.

I wish they wouldn't show that picture with the A/F up there because that is nothing but a misleading photo as it will take input from a wideband it is not a wideband nor will it read the a/f from your car from the dataport. It cannot because the only information from the dataport is that from the narrow band factory 02 sensors.

The price, hehehehe, I know you wish you knew but I'll say this much, all of you are WAY high. This isn't a $700 Hyperpac but it will accept custom tunes UNLIKE the $350 Edge. The X-calibrator will still be sold and still be at the same price. It will also be updated from what SCT tells us. Yes, the LiveWire will be more then the X-calibrator but it will also have more features and more memory.

As for the PRP, yes its nice and for only $699, $299 plus the price of a X-calibrator, IF you know what you are doing is a good choice. BUT, I dont advertise the PRP's because I dont sell them unless you can fill out a questionaire that I've created. It gives the end user full controll over the PCM, except for Drive by wire features on the new 05-07's, and this much adjustability in the hands of unskilled users can blow stuff up.

Stay tuned!!
Thats from Doug @ Bama.

So unless you know how to tune its a waste of money.
https://mustangforums.com/m_2175889/tm.htm