Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dealer put 5W30 into GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:59 PM
flyingkiwi

Default Dealer put 5W30 into GT

Not sure why I looked at the invoice from yesterdays oil change but just noticed that the dealer put 5W30 in instead of the recommended 5W20. Going to call them first thing in the morning to rectify the situation but in the meantime was just wondering if this is going to cause any problems as it's going to take me a week before I can get the car back to the dealer.

On a side note they were going to charge me 2 1/2 hours labour to install my recently purchased FRPP axle-backs so I said no thanks, purchased some axle jacks on the way home and installed them myself in just over two hours. Makes me very suspicious of the dealership now. May have to start doing my own oil changes!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 06:13 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dealer put 5W30 into GT

being a former dealer tech I can tell you most of the time they're f'n you. You have to find the right kind of service advisor and build a relationship with them. Anything that's strictly R/R just do yourself. No sense in payin a dealer $95/hr

the 5w30 wont hurt for a week or so. If it's really cold in your area just give the car time to get up to operating temp before puttin the spurs to it, which you should be doing anyway.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:15 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

5w30 won't hurt, make them change it to 5w20 though
Old 10-30-2006, 01:49 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

From what I understand, the governement charges the auto manufacturers a certain dollar amount for every tenth of a mile per gallon as they go over a certain standard that is established. Some auto manufacturers have gone to 5W-20 because it affords them better mileage numbers. The average customer will not really see these gains. I would say in general, if you live in a colder climate, use the 5W-20. It's thinner than 5W-30, and will start to flow faster in colder temps. If you live somewhere warmer, I think the 5W-30 is fine.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:43 PM
dbvettez06
1st Gear Member

If a customer used 5w30 and the engine went, guess what no warranty....High ration of idiots in the dealership [stealerships]...[>:]
Old 10-30-2006, 03:51 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

5W30 won't hurt anything (except maybe a small drop in mileage). I had to use 5W30 for my first oil change becasue the "proper" weight was not available and it was either that or no change.

I always cut open my old oil filters after the change and examine the inside for any signs of metallic debris (a sign of engine damage) and it looked just fine afterwards. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, it was FORD that put that oil in there. They can't deny you the warranty when you went to THEM for service.

Oil weights aren't an exact science. Many of you may remember that years ago cars came with a chart that explained what weight of oil was optimal for what temperature. You don't see much of that these days becasue everyone wants you to run the thinnest possible oil for better mileage, but the point is that unless you make a DRASTIC error in oil weight selection, you'll be fine.

If you're really that worried about it, just buy some proper weight oil and redo the oil change. It's not expensive or difficult.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

Do you really see a MPG diff between 20 and 30 weight oil?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:37 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

For the average user? I seriously doubt it.

On a sophisticated engine dyno under ideal circumstances? Yeah, you could probably measure it. Would the difference be significant? I doubt it.

Remember that every 1/100th of 1 % that Ford can lower their average fuel economy by saves them money....
Old 10-30-2006, 08:36 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

it actually has more to do with the ring and bearing clearances of the mod motors. when i worked in the shop we had Lincolns coming in all the time with the oil filters blown off the threads because the old fart driving it pu in 10w30 or 20w50 because he always had put that in his Lincoln lol. the heavier oil really boosts up the pressure
Old 10-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

A lot of people on these boards use 5w30 anyway. If you're not comfortable, make 'em change it- but it really won't hurt anything.

Quick Reply: Dealer put 5W30 into GT