Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DO I REALLY NEED LONG TUBES?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:11 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: DO I REALLY NEED LONG TUBES?

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

I wish Longtubes wern't like 1200 bucks [:@]
They are some for 499$, remember if you gonna go turbo you have to get shorties ^^

Att. Andrew
Old 11-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

You got that right? Why do we get raped on mod parts?[:@]
ORIGINAL: KTownGT

I wish Longtubes wern't like 1200 bucks [:@]
Old 11-02-2006, 08:53 PM
06SSGT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: carnut

the long tubes + tune will net you 30-45hp. id say those are good numbers. it also gives it a deeper throatier sound.
Does it really give you that much?
Old 11-03-2006, 04:37 AM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

What if im getting a Vortech SC what kind of headers would i use?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:51 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

If you go from a STOCK setup to headers + Tune it wouldn't be unreasonable to see 30-40 HP.

However, a lot of that is just from the tune.

I have installed longtubes on 4 different 05-06 mustangs. In every case the car already had minor mods like a CAI and tune already on it. After adding the headers and updating the tune (but keeping the same octane, etc), we saw 18-21 HP more at the rear wheels from the longtubes.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Mustangansta
2nd Gear Member

thats for the feedback - looks like a long tube set up with x pipe for me - future will do blower so i'll be ok
Old 11-12-2006, 10:10 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

I installed Kooks catted LTs and specifically asked Brenspeed and Bamachips if I needed an update to their 93 Octane tunes I was already running. Both of them said no, if you are running cats, a tune is not required. However, if you're going with O\R, then yes a tune is required.

And +1 for CrazyAl by clarifying the gains. Headers will not give you 30-40hp gains. If you upgrade to a CAI and Tune and Headers, then yes, 40+ hp gain can be expected...however, about 25 of that is from the CAI and tune. Headers alone will get you between 15 to 25 hp gains.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:22 PM
06VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Well this is my take on the header debates.

I have two friends that have headers one has shorty BBK's and the other has JBA LT's. The friend with the LT JBA's and myself both dynoed back to back on the same dyno same day, and his car made 4 more HP than mine did without headers @ the peak. So with that, I wrote off the headers in my mod list. I thought for $1000 there are mods that will make me happier than 4whp. We both had CAI, and tunes, and UDP. The only thing he had more than me was the headers and off road H-pipe. At the local track our cars ran almost identical times. His best was a 8.47, and mine a 8.44 in the 1/8th both at around 85mph. I teased and teased him on the money he had spent and the fantastic(sarcasm) gain he got from them.

We both started to hang out with another guy in town with an 06' GT. His mods were just as ours a CAI, tune, and he had some flowmasters. We all ran neck and neck, and at the track the better driver won the races. He installed a set of shortys, and some CMRC deletes at the same time and his car picked up tremendously in my opinion almost 2mph in the 1/8th. Since this we have all went out and bought CMRC deletes to compliment the headers. I have not installed mine due to lack of fundage for new tunes, and lack of money for headers....

I'm sure that all headers are not created equal by no means, but I don't think the shortys are useless on these cars either. I feel like the headers, either LT or shorty, will help free up the exhaust tract especially with off road X or H-pipe. I think that the addition of the CMRC deletes helps them even more because you are opening up both the intake and the exhuast. Maybe there is a difference in tunes, but both friends run a 93 tune from Bamachips too.

So my conclusion is matching a combonation of opening up the air coming in and out helps the most. every mod should compliment the other for the best performance. As far as the sound goes I like LT's personally they are throatier....if that's a word...
Old 11-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scramblr

I installed Kooks catted LTs and specifically asked Brenspeed and Bamachips if I needed an update to their 93 Octane tunes I was already running. Both of them said no, if you are running cats, a tune is not required. However, if you're going with O\R, then yes a tune is required.

And +1 for CrazyAl by clarifying the gains. Headers will not give you 30-40hp gains. If you upgrade to a CAI and Tune and Headers, then yes, 40+ hp gain can be expected...however, about 25 of that is from the CAI and tune. Headers alone will get you between 15 to 25 hp gains.
Hmm i thought Lts could be ran without a tune but to see any real gains they needed a tune.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:36 PM
atrex

Hope this isnt too off topic, but does anyone have the MAC L/T's that Brenspeed carries???

Do they fit well???

Quick Reply: DO I REALLY NEED LONG TUBES?