Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Lower Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 PM
4.6L Shadow

Default Lower Control Arms

Ok, i've heard some stuff about control arms breaking, and i also need better traction, has anyone heard any news about these and also why are they called "Race" is that just a marketing ploy or something.

http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...trail_arms.php
Old 11-02-2006, 11:58 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Lower Control Arms

OK,

The stock control arms don't break. However, they are flimsy and they flex too much. This causes wheelhop and loss of traction.

Aftermarket control arms are stiffer and have solid bushings instead of the soft rubber ones in the OEM design. This stops the flexing and gives you more traction.

The only control arms that I have heard of breakage issues on are the Steeda billet aluminum ones....and even then it is only on high HP cars: guys that drag race with superchargers or nitrous on slicks

The ones you linked to are called "Race" becasuse they have solid steel "rod end" bushings on the ends. This gives you the least flexing and therefore the most traction. However, they also transmit a lot of road noise and vibration. This makes them unsuitable for use on a "daily driver" becasue they make your ride loud and uncomfortable to drive.

I would go here: http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005Mustang.htm

...and have a look at theirs. The BMR tubular steel control arms are, in my opinion, the standard by which all others are judged. They are available in different types to suit your needs. The street "Combo" type with a poly bushing on one end and a rod-end on the other are the hot ticket.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:26 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

what about the che lower control arms?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:07 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The CHE ones aren't bad.

I haven't used them personally. I don't like them becasue they don't have a grease fitting on them. However, CHE claims they use a dual-material (delrin and poly) system that means you don't need to grease them. I'm a bit skeptical--I have seen delrin bushings run on a Turbo Buick, and they squeaked. So I'm not really sure about these.

However, there's a lot of guys using them and I haven't heard any legitimate complaints, so I'd guess they are probably fine.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:15 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

the adjustables I am planning to buy bring grease for the bushings... hmm

Att. Andrew
Old 11-03-2006, 12:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

bring grease for the bushings? Not sure what you mean there. The che's I have come with a small amount of grease that you apply to the mounting surface after you clean it. Mine haven't squeaked yet, but like CrazyAl I'm a bit skeptical.

ORIGINAL: androdz

Att. Andrew
Old 11-03-2006, 01:32 PM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

Att. Andrew
I have some adj. che lcas for sale on ebay...I have a thread in the parts for sale section of these forums.....min 100.00 bid no reserve.....item #250044189853
Old 11-03-2006, 02:50 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Why did you change?

ORIGINAL: FREAKO

Att. Andrew
I have some adj. che lcas for sale on ebay...I have a thread in the parts for sale section of these forums.....min 100.00 bid no reserve.....item #250044189853
Old 11-03-2006, 08:01 PM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

nothing wrong with them..they worked great....highly recommended.....they were for a buddy's car...now we are going to use full drag susupension...with rod ends. They were only on the car for 2 days/about 80 miles. If he didnt decide on rod end suspension, we would of left them on the car.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:44 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

I will prob get them but they better not be damaged or bent.

Att. Andrew

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arms