Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What Kind of SC or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 AM
MustangGTMike06

Default What Kind of SC or Turbo?

Hey Guys this is my first post on here. Ive read a few and some of you guys can be a little harsh, so go easy on me. JK!
Anyways, i got an 06 GT 5-speed, black on black and i want to do some kind of SC or Turbo. Anyone who has one, can you tell me how you like it.
Also which way should i go, centrifugal or roots SC or Turbo.
Thanks Guys!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What Kind of SC or Turbo?

If you go with a S/C go with a twin screw.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:45 AM
ProCrsh
1st Gear Member

ive been lookin into that my self lately and i still leavin toward the sc because less maintance easy set up and cheaper. but theres a few turbo systems out that are nuts. look into hp turbos and turbo horsepower. those are two crazy companies i found theres other systems but i sort like their setups. as for a sc i would go twin screw but they was 5 -7 grand where as votech procharger and paxton have setups as low as 3 so thats where im at
Old 11-07-2006, 04:19 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

I think (keyword..think) that most people aim w/ the sc for one. Mustangs have bigger brands name supercharger then turbo charger. Example we have saleen, roush, procharger, this and that. Alot of the turbo system we have not big name next to some other avaible for japans car like hks; greddy; etc. Plus mustangs are knew for sc whines...thats what the cobras are so famus for.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:13 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ProCrsh

ive been lookin into that my self lately and i still leavin toward the sc because less maintance easy set up and cheaper. but theres a few turbo systems out that are nuts. look into hp turbos and turbo horsepower. those are two crazy companies i found theres other systems but i sort like their setups. as for a sc i would go twin screw but they was 5 -7 grand where as votech procharger and paxton have setups as low as 3 so thats where im at
Was right untill you said less mantainance. S/C you gotta be constantly checking the belt. Turbo are better, if u go with sc dont get vortech nor paxton go procharger.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:16 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

I think (keyword..think) that most people aim w/ the sc for one. Mustangs have bigger brands name supercharger then turbo charger. Example we have saleen, roush, procharger, this and that. Alot of the turbo system we have not big name next to some other avaible for japans car like hks; greddy; etc. Plus mustangs are knew for sc whines...thats what the cobras are so famus for.
LOL those are companies that manufacture the kits lol. The turbos are universal that is why they good. Sorry to bust ur bubble but the fastest terminators are all turbo'd. You can't beat a turbo on horsepower at the same psi. Nor the adjustability I can drive daily 6psi and when I really need all the power bam 20psi. Would love to see you running 20psi on a daily driver all the time haha.

Att. Andrew
Old 11-07-2006, 07:39 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

What revellance does your car color have to do with your question? ( there, that's the harshness you expected )

It all depends on what kind of power you want to make, and where you want it to come in. If you want top end, go with centrifugal, if you want torque and the power to come on at a lower range, go with twin screw. If you want outdated technology that isn't as efficient as other solutions, go with roots. If you want the power and torque of a twin screw with the top end of a centri and damn near unlimited ability to add more power, go with turbo.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:23 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

LOL those are companies that manufacture the kits lol. The turbos are universal that is why they good. Sorry to bust ur bubble but the fastest terminators are all turbo'd. You can't beat a turbo on horsepower at the same psi. Nor the adjustability I can drive daily 6psi and when I really need all the power bam 20psi. Would love to see you running 20psi on a daily driver all the time haha.

Att. Andrew

A saleen supercharger is a saleen supercharger. Yes they manufacture it; just like everything else is manufacture...I dont see whats so funny; brand names play a big part. I dont mean to pick on honda; but if someone said Honda or Ferrari? who would you pick.

This is true. Almost all the dragster are turboed or twin turboed. But we are still pretty much talking street cars where you can still reach high hp on a sc setup; and turbos are still made by companys like garrett. There are kits by greddy, etc. A turbo setup could very much be better then a sc setup for whatever reason. Its just for some reason; i thik mustang...i think supercharger. I think supra; i think singel or twin turbo setup.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

I bought my mustang to avoid turbo lag...when I hit the gas I want the throttle response to be RIGHT THERE! If I wanted a turbo I would have bought an EVO....in fact, I used to work for Mitsu and gave a little thought to an EVO. In fact, it will be hard to avoid drooling over that EVO X when it hits the floors in a year or so. That is why I would choose a blower over a turbo. Less cost, easier install, generally easier to tune and maintain, and throttle response RIGHT NOW!

Unfortunately you do have a parasitic power adder, but when you want responsiveness and consistency you've got to be blown. I know turbos are making their way deeper into the auto-field and I love the idea. I would love to own a turbo car someday....but it seems wrong in a mustang in a mustang.

Of course everyone has their own opinions and it all depends on what you will be using it for. I hope to go FI within a few years and at this point it will be tough for someone to convert me to turbo.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:05 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGTMike06
Hey Guys this is my first post on here. Ive read a few and some of you guys can be a little harsh, so go easy on me. JK!
Anyways, i got an 06 GT 5-speed, black on black and i want to do some kind of SC or Turbo. Anyone who has one, can you tell me how you like it.
Also which way should i go, centrifugal or roots SC or Turbo.
Thanks Guys!!!
Hey Mike, A while back I watched the TV show Two Guys Garage where they installed a twin turbo system on a ZO6. It looked like a really good system with no dreaded LAG. I am not trying to promote it I am just giving everyone a chance to check it out. I haven't even read the info myself but I noticed they have a Mustang and I am anxious to check that out.

So here is the link: http://www.ststurbo.com/centrifugal

Quick Reply: What Kind of SC or Turbo?