Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple or Hellion ??? Can't Decide

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 09:55 PM
MilehighGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple or Hellion ??? Can't Decide

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: jacrockett

just forget about being able to pass a smog test in Kalifornia.
Why wouldn't it pass if the cats are intact?

Every part you add under the hood, needs a C.A.R.B. number. Even with that, you may still get harassed. I had an issue with an intake I put on my Camaro, it was C.A.R.B. approved, but they couldn't find the approval number so I had to track it down myself and give it to them.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:55 AM
doodad
5th Gear Member

with turbo you can make HUGE power, with S/C you can make less power but safe on your engine.. now this should make you decide..

Old 11-14-2006, 04:01 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doodad

with turbo you can make HUGE power, with S/C you can make less power but safe on your engine.. now this should make you decide..

That is incorrect, at best.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:13 AM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

I've yet to see a tubo kit that has a CARB#.

In my previous setup, I lost lots of belts trying to get my 1.7L Kenne Bell push 14# boost (It's 4 sale now BTW) even though it's rated for 14#. @ 10-12# it worked fine.
Anyway, turbo is more efficient than a blower if u have the $$ and it's legal where u live.

If there was a decent CA-legal tubo kit, I would have bought one.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:48 AM
skinjob
1st Gear Member

We've all got six years on our mustangs anyway, don't we?.. I'm sure by the time you have to get it tested there will be more turbos with numbers out there.. They should like turbos.. they increase your fuel efficiency don't they? The other idea is to buy the turbo kit from your local speed shop instead of online, and then start hanging out there every day. Sooner or later they'll tell you a test station where you can them a few more dollars for a special test..

-J
Old 11-14-2006, 01:12 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

It's not so much to do with the hardware as it is with the tune and the amount of boost you run. Any turbo or supercharger kit can hole a shortblock if not properly set up. Hypereutectic pistons don't leave much margin for error.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Numby
1st Gear Member

To be honest Turbos are safer on your engine than a supercharger is. You can keep turbos at 1lb of boost with a boost contoller and never have any added power and when you want it just dial it in. Superchargers are constantly adding power since they are belt driven, and they are taking away power from you when they are not forcing air into the engine. its an assume 13% loss or something in that area to power when just normal driving a SC'ed car
Old 11-14-2006, 05:44 PM
bonedaddyjr06
1st Gear Member

i plan on possibly doing one or the other next summer and i'm leaning more towards the supercharger...the main reason is because i dont plan to ago above 475rwhp....i mean thats more than pleanty for my daily driver and street car....good luck bro

Cody Johnson
Old 11-14-2006, 07:23 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GGIII

ORIGINAL: doodad

That is incorrect, at best.
it is not, i personally do not have any power adder but from what i heard from people who had power adders, turbo makes more better power but not as relaible as supercharger. sure you can make some serious power with S/C too but that requires some high psi. turbo at 10 psi > S/C at 10 psi.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

I personally like the low maintenance of a turbo. You don't have to worry about belts, pullies, or oil (if you set it up that way). I like the ability to dial in the boost. I get those SRT-4 skittles hissing their blowoff valves next to me, and would like to answer back. Throttle lag is minimal with a turbo. They're said to reach full boost by around 2800-2900 rpms, but you're still boosting under that.

The Whipple may have less trouble than other superchargers on the market with making belts last, but that's still a concern of mine. Although, if I were to purchase a supercharger, Whipple is what I'd buy.

I think the drivability of a turbo would be better than a supercharger as a daily commuter. I don't want full boost when moving 3 feet every few minutes on the intersate.

Here's an idea... purchase both. Try them out for a while to decide which you like best, and give the one you'd rather not use to me. I promise to enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Whipple or Hellion ??? Can't Decide