Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple or Hellion ??? Can't Decide

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Default Whipple or Hellion ??? Can't Decide

I was all set to go with the whipple but after seeing the Hellion turbo offered by Brenspeed i am torn. I have talked with a few of my friends and they all seem to go with the turbo with out a doubt. Just wondering how you guys feel about the s/c vs. turbo ?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:31 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple or Hellion ??? Can't Decide

Ahhh.....the much debated topic. Good luck with this one. Hope you are prepared to get a **** load of biased responses. Of course whoever has a S/C will swear by it and whoever has the turbo will swear by it. They cant both be the "best" so its going to depend on what you are looking for. Where do you want your power, how fast, how many HP, etc etc etc. They both have pro's and con's and I have been in this same debate for months now. I feel your pain!! [&:]

I just want something that I can feel the power at all levels with. I dont mash it to the floor on every straight away but I would like to have the power there no matter what speed I am cruising at. We can only go so fast on the streets anyways - so the real power should be there for my 1/4 mile times. The money isnt what is steering me in either direction. I want something that is SAFE and will not blow the **** out of my internals. 400-450 RWHP is plenty for me!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if your read that post by someone that put the hellion kit on his car, but he blew the motor only a couple days after he got it back from the shop. If you can afford changing the internals of your engine, I'd say go for the turbo. But the whipple seems like it might be safer on a stock engine.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:40 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

My tuner (who specified all my engine mods) swears that a properly sized (big enough) single turbo will make all the low-end torque that any twin screw s/c blower will have, and significantly higher hp/tq numbers... just forget about being able to pass a smog test in Kalifornia. He is a super knowlegable guy when it comes to this stuff.

One thing is for sure, the turbo will nevever slip, or break your serpentine belt!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

I gotta know if a brenspeed paxton supercharger is gonna last more than a week. I am going to wait to hear from guys with these blowers that have had them for 50-100k miles without problems before I would consider it. Anybody had problems so far with their blower setup? Anybody not happy with the power gains? This is a big investment and there should be big power gains.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:19 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

This forum is in desperate need of a "Beating a dead horse" smiley.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:44 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

this is really an opinion question. the whipple is more of a muscle car type add on. makes great sound, good power and instant acceleration. it will never match the max power of a turbo. for daily driver I would get the supercharger. for racing turbos are the way to go. much more potential. they do have quick response as well. there is MUCH less turbo lag then on older models but there is still a slight bit. turbo people will say there is none, but they just have not driven a supercharged vehicle and felt what NO lag is. so depending on your need/ desire. its up to you.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys!...I am leaning towards agreeing with Mike99's response. I like the thought of instant acceleration especially down low. I doubt i will ever see the strip and the car will be more a daily driver with stop sign to stop sign romps. I havent totally ruled out the hellion turbo maybe i just need some more convincing.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jacrockett

just forget about being able to pass a smog test in Kalifornia.
Why wouldn't it pass if the cats are intact?

Old 11-13-2006, 09:03 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Has there been a problem with the Paxton s/c, that Brenspeed sells ? Why wouldn't it last more then a week. I was strongly considering going with the Paxton set up that Brent has on his own 06. I really don't think he would sell, and install something that is no good, or would blow an engine, his reputation is too good for that.

Quick Reply: Whipple or Hellion ??? Can't Decide