Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Does LT's have that much more deep tone over stock headers?

Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Travelinchris
1st Gear Member

Default Does LT's have that much more deep tone over stock headers?

Newbie to this forum here and I'm looking to make my 06 GT sound better. My Bassani SS Axel back should be here this week, and will be ordering Bassani's X pipe with cats when I decide which way to go. My question is about headers ,don't know if I should get bassani's LT's or stick with the stock headers. Don't know if the LT's will add too much more tone over just stock headers with bassani catted pipe and axelback. Especially for the price. If the LT's sounded alot better over stock headers then I'd fork out the dough, but if it's not that noticeable of a difference then I'd put the money elsewhere. That's what I have to decide because I'd have to pick between two different mid pipes to order. Also, can a bassani X pipe with cats for stock headers be cut back to match up to bassani LT's if I added them later, or should I just wait and added the matching midpipe when I have the money for the headers. Thanks everyone for any info.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Does LT's have that much more deep tone over stock headers?

First off, your car does not have headers stock. It has cast-iron manifolds.

Anyway, longtubes do sound different than the OEM setup, but I wouldn't call it deeper. Headers have a particular sound. I never can manage to describe it. Do you know anyone who has headers on their car? You should be able to pick up on the "header sound" by listening to their car, even if it isn't a mustang.

As for the midpipe, it is possible to modify a "stock" type midpipe to fit LTs, but personally I wouldn't do it. The amount of effort required would make it much simpler to just buy a matching midpipe form whoever makes your longtubes.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Travelinchris
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:24 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

What area are you in? I tried to look but it is not posted. If you are near me I can let you listen to what mine sounds like.