MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Can I Lower My Idle RPM??? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/206949-can-i-lower-my-idle-rpm.html)

one_focused_svt 11-17-2006 04:28 PM

Can I Lower My Idle RPM???

I've got a SCT tuner and I was wondering if I can lower my idle for a more muscular sound, I have side exhaust so it already sounds ballsey as hell I'm just looking for a beefier sound until I get around to throwing cams in her....how low can I go without risking drivability?

swensicle 11-17-2006 04:41 PM

RE: Can I Lower My Idle RPM???

Try 3k.....give it that nascar sound. hahaha

Can't say I'd go below 450-500rpm as you would think it would not only hesitate a little bit but also might under-drive your alternator etc. especially while using a lot of electronics and the AC.

Not to mention you already have UDP's, I probably wouldn't even think about it. My advice would be to stay happy till you get those cams.

one_focused_svt 11-17-2006 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: swensicle

Try 3k.....give it that nascar sound. hahaha

Can't say I'd go below 450-500rpm as you would think it would not only hesitate a little bit but also might under-drive your alternator etc. especially while using a lot of electronics and the AC.

Not to mention you already have UDP's, I probably wouldn't even think about it. My advice would be to stay happy till you get those cams.
okay....i guess.....damn I was hoping for a different awnser, oh well, balls o the wall for now, lol!

swensicle 11-17-2006 05:16 PM

Don't worry you still wouldn't get that loping sound you're looking for unless it was constantly on the verge of dying and let's agree that's not what you want. If you want it to sound badder you could get rid of the cats. Not so much legal, but it will definately make a sound difference.

one_focused_svt 11-17-2006 05:19 PM

very true but the problem with that for me is with the side exhaust.....i'll turn my rear wheels black in 10 miles, lol ;)

moosestang 11-17-2006 06:37 PM

I was told 750 was the stock idle, my tunes all set it at 850 so I put it back to 750 with no issues. I haven't tried going lower than that, but I think the worse that can happen is it will throw a code, plus the car might die, but you can always restart it.

bl1nk 11-17-2006 09:02 PM

I have both my idle and drive rpms set at around 500 (one of them is 520) cant remember which one though. It definately makes it sound better and when it revs down sounds nice and gurgly.. although it does feel like theres a SLIGHT hesitation now when you start to take off. Maybe its just the fact that the engine doesnt make much power at that lvl and its harder to move the car...not sure.

swensicle 11-18-2006 02:28 AM

Here's an idea. Buy some black 20's and then you won't have to worry about your wheels turning black. Thinking outside the box....eh?