Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Camaro vs Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 05:46 PM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Camaro vs Mustang GT

Sorry for this question but what's the difference between LT1 and LS1 and how do I know what engine has each camaro?
Old 11-20-2006, 05:58 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

05Pony Date 11/20/2006 2:29:51 PM
You can def take an LT1, but LS1 would rape you like a prison gang.

Not really. Yes, on paper the LS1 has better numbers and in fact is a higher powered engine. The LS1 requires a good driver to take advantage of that power though. the last time I raced on, which was a 2002, white with blue lightning all over it, he had me by about a foot. In my opinion, a foot isn't "raping". To each his own though. I know from racing and driving them, some peole just "think".

[8D]

- C

ps. Yes, a really good driver would have me by maybe a car length, IF he hit the shifts perfect. the few I have raced, including the one I beat, obviously didn't.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:50 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRGT

Sorry for this question but what's the difference between LT1 and LS1 and how do I know what engine has each camaro?

Totally different engines. The displacement is about the only similiarity. They changed to the LS1 the same year that they changed to the newer bubble looking headlights. That is the easiest way. If you pop the hood, the LS1 will have a plastic intake manifold similiar to ours, where the LT1 has a metal one that is different. Don't underestimate an LT1. They are quick too, just not as quick. Both engines respond well to mods too.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Youll take him no problem, trust me

Old 11-21-2006, 03:27 AM
csaclint

ORIGINAL: slow07

They changed to the LS1 the same year that they changed to the newer bubble looking headlights.
Is that when they changed to having the big mouth opening on the front of them? I always thought those looked like a catfish, probably better if one of them beat you so you wouldn't have to see that mug in your rearview
Old 11-21-2006, 03:34 AM
doodad
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

ORIGINAL: sst06vert

Do you guys think I can handle a Camaro Z28. The car is an automatic with Exhaust, Intake and headers. What do you think?
no
LT1: yes you can if you can drive...
LS1: Maybe, he is making a nice amount of HP with this setup...
i wanna ask a question.. people underestimate LT1s so much.. i see ton of threads people say oh LT1s are piece of cake for S197s then they say it is drivers race or very close race against srt-4s WTF?!?!?!? srt-4 vs LT1 is drivers race and they are both high 13s- low 14s cars.. so why to beat LT1 is easy, why not srt-4?

i say if you can eat up and LT1 and then lose a srt-4, you are Bullsh*tting!!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 AM
doodad
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteStallion06

i think youll take him itll be close also depends on a lot of things like if your going from a dig or roll... with cai and tune personally i think youd kill him the ss is what you have to watch out for not the z28 and even the ss you can bolt your way up to beating them .
another thing i need to remind you guys.. and everyone knows this anymore.. there is NO performance diffence between z28 vs SS or ws6 vs trans am

Old 11-21-2006, 03:43 AM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: csaclint

ORIGINAL: slow07

They changed to the LS1 the same year that they changed to the newer bubble looking headlights.
Is that when they changed to having the big mouth opening on the front of them? I always thought those looked like a catfish, probably better if one of them beat you so you wouldn't have to see that mug in your rearview

Yup, I forgot about that feature. I have a friend that has a stock 6 speed LT1, and he edged out a new GT. Comparibly modded, I would say it's a driver's race.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:28 AM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

Do you guys think I can handle a Camaro Z28. The car is an automatic with Exhaust, Intake and headers. What do you think?
looking at your signature you'll murder him, no worries I have about half the mods you do and I pull a 13.1 easy so unless he's a 12 seconds car you'll be just fine
Old 11-21-2006, 05:44 PM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

I did 13.6 at the track but maybe it is because of my rims and my tires. Also here in Puerto Rico temperature reaches 95 degrees and it is very humid. I just bought the cnl CAI, Twin 62mmThrottle Body and CMCP.

Quick Reply: Camaro vs Mustang GT