Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

LT install, is it worth the $$

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:55 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default LT install, is it worth the $$

Ok, I am going to make my decision today. I plan on supercharging my car next spring or so, but for right now i am getting the itch to have Long tube headers with catted x-pipe (Dynatech)....basically I found a local shop that will install for $500 and the headers are $1,295 from them as well.....Question is ...IS IT WORTH IT....what will I notice with already having a CAI and Tune, 3.73 gears etc....PLEASE HELP
Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: LT install, is it worth the $$

It's up to you, of course.

You can expect a gain of 15-25 HP at the wheels. That, and headers sound awesome. If that's worth the money to you, then go for it.

$1295 is a good price for the kit. But, I do think that their install price is a little high.

I installed Dynatechs on my car in 5 hours of work with 1 hour of assistance from a non-mechanically-inclined friend. This was on a garage floor with no lift and hand tools only. That's 6 man-hours total. At $60 per hour (a fairly typical shop rate), that's only $300 in labor. I would expect that a professional shop who has a lift and air tools (and who has more experience) would be able to do the work faster than that. Even if their hourly rate is higher, their time should be lower. $500 seems high for installation, especially when that can't be including parts. The Dynatech kit comes with everything required for the installation.

You might consider asking around at other shops regarding the install. Personally, I would mail-order the headers, thereby saving yourself sales tax. Sales tax will be a lot more than shipping.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:23 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

thanks al...I sent you a PM with some more questions and opinion requests...
ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

It's up to you, of course.

You can expect a gain of 15-25 HP at the wheels. That, and headers sound awesome. If that's worth the money to you, then go for it.

$1295 is a good price for the kit. But, I do think that their install price is a little high.

I installed Dynatechs on my car in 5 hours of work with 1 hour of assistance from a non-mechanically-inclined friend. This was on a garage floor with no lift and hand tools only. That's 6 man-hours total. At $60 per hour (a fairly typical shop rate), that's only $300 in labor. I would expect that a professional shop who has a lift and air tools (and who has more experience) would be able to do the work faster than that. Even if their hourly rate is higher, their time should be lower. $500 seems high for installation, especially when that can't be including parts. The Dynatech kit comes with everything required for the installation.

You might consider asking around at other shops regarding the install. Personally, I would mail-order the headers, thereby saving yourself sales tax. Sales tax will be a lot more than shipping.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:12 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

I would do it.. plus when you do go S/Ced it will help alot.
I would try and get the install price down to $400.

I'm getting mine done for $200, but the owner of the shop made me a great deal.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

You're going to love them.. From what I can see from your mods the headers are basically the next step in building the car and getting it ready for an additional power adder. Give us a call when you're ready to order or place the or order online and use our Holiday Coupon Code "LETHALHOLIDAY" and you'll save 5% of of our already amazing prices!! Woot!! Jared@Lethal