Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wanting 400rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:11 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wanting 400rwhp

Just about any of them can give you that. Procharger Intercooled kit, the KB kits, The Saleen Kits and The whipple kits are all able to give you a safe 450rwhp setup.
If you do some searching on here you will find lots of threads about them. jdm has some nice saleen kits putting down great numbers.

the KB probably can put down the most but a 2.6l or 2.8lHO is overkill unless you want to build up your block, as they can suply 20+#'s of boost
Old 11-21-2006, 06:17 PM
05Pony
1st Gear Member

So what is the difference between the twin screw KB/Wipple and centrifugal S/C, other then the price of course.
What are the power band differences? What is more efficiant and can produce the most power?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:25 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

vsop's advice is great. I would listen to what he has to say.

Decide wether you want to stay NA or if you want a Blower. You can probably keep very good driveability N/A becasue this car has variable valve timing, which will eliminate the driveability concerns that red's buddy had.

However, a powerful N/A cam will actually HURT you when you go to put the blower on.

A set of ported heads will work great with a blower, but it's not really needed. The blower will work fine without those heads. Sure, you could get the heads now--getting you an extra 50+ HP for the time being, then add a blower later, but that is just going to be wasting money. The blower by itself can overpower your engine internals. You wouldn't need the blower PLUS heads unless you had a fully built motor and were putting down some crazy-high HP.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:27 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05Pony

So what is the difference between the twin screw KB/Wipple and centrifugal S/C, other then the price of course.
What are the power band differences? What is more efficiant and can produce the most power?

Well the Centrifugal will be the top dog, but you would be looking at a race trim unit to push crazy numbers like 900rwhp.
The KB 2.8HO can do well over 20psi (I would have to look it up but I think its 26-28psi) and I think they say like 800rwhp or so can be produced with it.

The Whipple is more of a hybrid setup between roots and twin screw and its a good choice for the mid range power of 400-500 rwhp, but if you want more the cent or kb are the way to go.

powerbands vary greatly. The KB will have more low end, while the Centr, has the top end beat.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:27 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05Pony

Twin screw will produce the most linear powerband....you will see a lot of power down low in the RPM range, which is the most practical IMHO. You will have the power everywhere, every time you step on the pedal.

Centrifugal blowers are more efficient at the top end, but they are not very good down low. You will see higher peak efficiency with a centrifugal blower. But, their throttle response and power is not as good down low.

Either one can make enough power to destroy your engine, so that's not a concern!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:18 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

The advice that has been given so far is just about spot on!
I would like to add that for the most part (yes there will be exceptions) all of the super/chargers mentioned can be made to make at least that much HP (over 400rwhp) but most of them start out making less then that in 'kit' form. (closer to 370-380rwhp) TO get over the 'magical' 400rwhp it'll take a stock 4.6 3v engine, super charger kit of your choice, and something over $800 more, on what ever addition parts to get one over that magical number. Now this money can be spent many ways, injectors and smaller S/C pulley, (to spin the S/C faster to build more boost PSI at any given RPM) headers, (current opinions are long tube headers let engine breath easier and lowers given boost PSI AND increase overall HP) upgraded tune, (many tuners are make very safe tunes up to 450rwhp on stock internals, heads, cams) There are other ways to add to your HP and were mentioned in earlier posts.
I guess all I can offer in addition to what has been said is, You'll need to try and know where you want to end up, as it'll save money if you have to 'build up' your engine in stages, by not buying part that you can't use later.
Lastly, like was mentioned a 400rwhp N/A might not be as driver friendly and your current ride. But I can say that our car is making close to 450rwhp on pump gas and is as mild as one wants it to be and gas mileage doesn't suffer to much either. And all that power is just a little movement from my left foot at any given time or RPM.
Good luck,
05SDI
Old 11-21-2006, 07:25 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Yep- That is why I said he should go with the LTs now.. then S/C later.
JDM can give you a kit that will give you 450rwhp if that is what you want.

If you do go S/Ced you have 2 real options you can put the added parts you need together and make your own setup and use a damn good tuner ti dyno tune you or you can go with one of the well know companies that have performance kits put together for the S/Cers and they will provide everything needed for the power you want. Hell most even offer the install.

One thing I will say is that if you really want to put down 450rwhp as a Daily Driver, I would spend the extra money on a dual gt pump setup.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

One more thing I forgot;

You might budget in some money for new tires as the stock tires will not last to long and/or will limit you from turning you hard earned cash into forward momentum.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:09 PM
05Pony
1st Gear Member

haha already got rid of those POS tires, put NITTO 555's, not a bad investment id say.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

take the mods i have, add the brenspeed cams. . .

then change the stroke a little bit OR very aggressive port and polish job. . .

and vuala. . .

400 rwhp. . . N/A bitches

Quick Reply: Wanting 400rwhp