Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best Throttle Body

Old 11-26-2006, 03:29 AM
troy8971

Default RE: Best Throttle Body

I ordered a GMS throttle body and it came in on Friday. I of course put it on right away. I followed the directions to the letter from Granatelli and the vendor. I started my car up and drove it around the block. Before I got 100 yards, my car wouldn't run right. The accelerator would not work at all. I could only get at most 8 mph on idle. I thought that I screwed something up. I tried again three different times, still same results. I put the factory throttle body back on in hopes that I could solve the problem. My car was still not wanting to accelerate at all. I took it to the dealer this morning, and was told that the electic motor inside the throttle body had locked up. Ford would not cover the warranty because the computer told them I had put a modification on the engine. I asked about buying a replacement electric motor, but was told that the throttle body is sold as a kit, not individual pieces. So if I want to drive my baby anymore, I have to buy a Ford throttle body, which is costing me nearly $400. Moral of the story, I would not put a Granatelli throttle body on your mustang.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:40 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

you told the dealer that you tried an aftermarket tb on the car...?
I don't see how the cars computer would know that you had added the tb if you have to swap the stock electronics over to the new TB..

Old 11-26-2006, 03:50 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

I agree ^^^

hmm[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 11-26-2006, 04:31 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I agree, there really is no way they would know. Unless you have a custom tune from a CAI and they are talking about the reflash, but that would have nothing to do with them knowing you put a new T/B on. I would take it to another Ford dealer, but first get on the phone and straighten things out with who you purchased it from.

-Jeff
Old 01-07-2007, 04:52 AM
solomon753

I just tried to install the BBk TB.......It is a pain in the ***. at first, I froze up the actuator then I reajusted the spring and it would still not run correctly. It would run fine until I tried to go WOT ( Wide Open Throttle ). Once I floored it, it would lock back up and would not run over idle. I put the stock one back on and everything was fine. I was just one of the lucky ones that didint burn up the motor.

Use you money elsewhere until they do more R&D on these things.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:49 PM
gtrichyo6
2nd Gear Member

Agreed ,I have the GMS throttle body and it has been on my car twice put it in limp home mode both times .Now it is a paper weight waste of good money.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Marauder8
1st Gear Member

If in aint broke, don't fix it.

In my opinion the only thing to do to a GT for power is to put a SUPERCHARGER on it. Everything else is a waste on money.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:51 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marauder8

If in aint broke, don't fix it.

In my opinion the only thing to do to a GT for power is to put a SUPERCHARGER on it. Everything else is a waste on money.
I'll agree with the first statement, but not the second.

There are several proven methods for adding HP that don't cause problems. If you are after some power upgrades, look at the CMCP Delete, Pulleys, CAI/Tune, Longtube Headers, and lightweight driveline components. These are proven reliable. I would not even begin to consider a new TB unless you already had all of the above mods as well as cams or heads. At that point a TB might be worthwhile, but you'd better have a professional help with the setup.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:21 PM
RetroS197
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lynwood78

I've been looking for a TB for a while. I'm stuck on buying

BBK's - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BBK-2...spagenameZWDVW or

Granatelli's - http://www.v8power.com/item--Granate...MSTB0507B.html

I'm leanings for in Granatelli's though.
I am just going to say what my local shop said, they put a throttle body as an only mod to test it, it was woth 2 hp and acutally LOST 6 lbft torque. So like the others here say, unless you have all the other cams and goodies, they are not woth it.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:46 PM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

in the mustang and fast ford video they put the bbk TB on like nothing, and they gained like 6 or 8rwhp? on a stock mustang.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Throttle Body