Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I get a Hurst or Steeda Tri-Ax?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 04:46 PM
TElke1
2nd Gear Member

Default Should I get a Hurst or Steeda Tri-Ax?

Hello everyone and Happy Turkey Day! I am tired of my stock stick and want to get something with a shorter throw to it. I know alot of people on here have both the Hurst and Steeda shifters. Is there a difference other than the look? Any benefits from one to the other? Will the dealership Natzi's have issues with this as warrenty work that might come into play?? Thanks for all the help on this site...i love it

Oh yeah, how about those Buckeyes....... [sm=drooldude.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=wootwoot.gif]
Old 11-24-2006, 06:49 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Should I get a Hurst or Steeda Tri-Ax?

I had the Ford Racing Drag Pack installed, and it came with a Hurst Shifter...I don't think that it would cause a problem, Ford Racing has one available:
Part M7210-T MSRP: $210

I like it. I haven't tried any other shifters though...
Old 11-24-2006, 10:03 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Whichever shifter you buy make sure the one you get has stops. I cannot say enough about getting one with stops to protect your shifter/tranny. On a side note I haven't heard anything bad about the steeda, well that is except its $280 price tag haha.

Att. Andrew
Old 11-27-2006, 12:51 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TElke1

Hello everyone and Happy Turkey Day! I am tired of my stock stick and want to get something with a shorter throw to it. I know alot of people on here have both the Hurst and Steeda shifters. Is there a difference other than the look? Any benefits from one to the other? Will the dealership Natzi's have issues with this as warrenty work that might come into play?? Thanks for all the help on this site...i love it

Oh yeah, how about those Buckeyes....... [sm=drooldude.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=wootwoot.gif]

Hi TElke1,

Have you considered installing Saleen's short shift kit and Steeda's poly shifter bushings? For less than $80 you can get a much shorter shift throw and firmer shift feel. You don't need to worry about damaging the transmission shift forks on the S197 tranny because the stock 3650 5-speed transmission has internal mechanical stops to protect the forks.

Actually I forgot to say Tremec recomends against installing a shifter with mechanical shift stops because they are frequently adjusted improperly and the often the cause of broken or bent shift forks. I pretty sure that they know how their transmissions work best and what third party shifters do and would follow their recomendations before buying a product with stops.

HTH

Old 11-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

+eleventy for the hurst! shorter throw and more confident feel, plus its cheaper
Old 11-28-2006, 12:34 AM
chirostang
2nd Gear Member

Tri-ax is better. Go Blue!
Old 11-28-2006, 02:01 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chirostang

Tri-ax is better. Go Blue!

Hi TElke1,

Drove it, hated it, drove another car with it and hated it. Noisy, vibrates and is just too stiff unless you are slamming gears on the strip, where it is perfect. Anyother time the Tri-Ax is horrible to deal with. BOTH of the guys that had Tri-Axes I drove pulled them out. One installed a Hurst, the other went with Saleen shift kit and Steeda poly shift bushings and both are much happier now.

HTH
Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Go with the Tri-Ax, period. If you think you want the Hurst, save yourself the money and just get the Saleen adaptor for $40 because all the Hurst is ( basically ) is a stock shifter with a shorter throw. If you want an actual shifter upgrade then get the Steeda.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:44 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TElke1

I have the Hurst and I like it. You do NOT need the gear stops for a GT as stated previously in this post. The Tremec 3650 has internal stops within the tranny so they aren't necessary on the shifter itself. I personally verified this with Hurst as I had a back order in for their shifter with the stops. The shifter with the stops is on indefinite delay per Hurst. The shift throws are much shorter and more precise than the stock shifter. As for mods voiding the warranty, well that has been discussed ad naueum, but in one word, no. Can your dealership be an *** and refuse you service because of it...yes, but not likely if your warranty issue isn't related to it. CrazyAl had a good post of mods and the warranty awhile back. You might want to try a search and see if you can find it.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:19 PM
TElke1
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback, will look into Saleen shifter and do some more research, I wish I could all 3 out before I buy!!

Quick Reply: Should I get a Hurst or Steeda Tri-Ax?