Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

strut tower brace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 02:35 AM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: strut tower brace?

BlackBeauty - Install was probably the easiest mod I have done to the Roush yet! Took all of 20 minutes & that includes getting tools out & putting them away again Plus I would not throw this one away because it will not work with a blower (however it will with little a little mod), it is too trick and could easily be sold to recoup some of your expense - its not just a painted pipe!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:24 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I had read about one person that snapped one of the strut mount bolts off when doing the install of their strut brace. How easy is that to do? Is there a torque spec or do you just have to snug it up within reason before having to worry about snapping a bolt? That would really suck to do.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:49 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

thats a good question plus Zcat, when you installed yours did you do anything when you took those 4 nuts off the strut tower? I mean don't those hole the springs on. Does it messed up your alignment at all? Just wondering, as I was looking at it today when we did the cruise. Only one of the guys there had one and it was a double bar but he didn't have the plenum cover and it wouldn't fit if he did, but his only used the 2 inner bolts which I don't like. It seems to me that would put alot of pressure just on those 2 bolts but I'm no engineer....lol
Old 12-03-2006, 09:26 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06 Black Beauty

Does anyone know of a strut brace that will work if you have the plenum cover installed. I know there has been alot of chatting about these with pros and cons. I personally like the looks of them but none of them really say if they will fit with the plenum cover and pictures are hard to tell if there is enough clearance.

Thanks for any input
GMS. You will need some spacers/washers but it will clear the plenum by about 1/4". Really tightens up the front end.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29830/9D99B27AE460444D82DF63FA4FF8B01C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-03-2006, 09:36 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

thanks. Where did you get it from and how many washers did you have to use before it cleared if you don't mind me asking. That one looks pretty nice and you said there is about a 1/4 inch between the bar and the cover right.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:44 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06 Black Beauty

thanks. Where did you get it from and how many washers did you have to use before it cleared if you don't mind me asking. That one looks pretty nice and you said there is about a 1/4 inch between the bar and the cover right.
I got mine from Jegs.Com

I used 4 washers on each one of the ftb srews and 6 washers on each one of the rtb screws. What would be better is to fashion some SS spacers.

You may have to do some bending of the STB for it to fit properly...........I did.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:53 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

BlackBeauty - I had no issues with alinement after I installed the brace and I did not use a torque wrench, just snugged the nuts down firmly. I would be carefull about how many spacers you put under the nuts as you still want to be able to tighten down firmly enough. I really don't think these braces make much difference if you don't have a convertable as the body should be plenty stiff enough already, but they do look good
Old 12-03-2006, 11:26 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

Zcat, I don't mean to keep asking and if I'm being a pain say so. Ok I'm sure it's in the instructions but when you take the nuts off did you have to raise the front end at all or just leave the tires on the ground unbolt the 4 nuts place the brace on and snug up the bolts? I've never done this kind of mod before and nor any suspension. I'm putting on my LCA's myself but those are pretty straight forward. I know those 4 nuts hold the front springs in place so that's why I'm asking about lifting the front end or leaving it on the ground. I wasn't sure if once you take all 4 off if it would move or not. I know with the single bar you are only taking off 2 so it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal you know.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:52 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

No BB - you don't have to do anything other than bolt it on and it is the quickest , easiest mod I ever did. No jacking car up - nothing - just pull the nuts off, install the base, put the nuts back on & snug them down firmly - difficulty level : -1
Old 12-04-2006, 12:04 AM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

sweet man, thanks. I just wasn't sure and I figured i would ask. Is it Christmas time yet....lol I feel like a kid again. I think I'm going to try and polish it up once its on.

Quick Reply: strut tower brace?