Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

whipple

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:14 AM
RedfireMustang06GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: whipple

Whipple.... IMO... Fuel pump by itself is worth it let alone and that the kit is "MFG."with the stock motor design in mind. They designed this with Ford Racing's Division. What better to install a charger that was designed specifically for the engine! I know I'm buying mine in March.. Can't wait.. Last of the mods.... cough!!! yea right....[8D]
Old 12-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

+1 ....Soon as the taxes are done i will be getting mine!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Quote: huh, i never even cared how they tuned it, i figured saleen would send some kind of crappy tune, sct2 is what i had and what i wanted to use

That's why I got my Saleen S/C from JDM. They give you an SC2 tuner with their tune in it.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:00 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

Yeah, I have considered that. The stock fuel pump on the Mustang GT is the Focus fuel pump and I read that it was rated to support up to 600 HP so it doesn't really need replacement.
Where did you read that? I read the focus pump was good for 400hp, but don't remember where and i'm sure it wasn't a reliable source anyway. How do you know the focus pump is the same pump used in the mustang GT? I think they might be replacing malfunctioning pumps (TSB) with the focus pump, but I don't think it came stock with that pump in 05-06.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:23 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

I can't remember, it could have been off of KBs site, but I'm not sure.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:45 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, it was on Kenne Bell's site. You got me wondering so I looked again. Here's the link http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...gtTechTips.pdf
Go to "Tech, Tuning Tips & Dyno Tests, 4.6 Mustang GT 3V" Then scroll down and look under "BOOST-A-PUMP". It's says the Focus pump is the "stock" pump.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:06 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

OK, so I don't have a Whipple, I wish I did! But I got a poor man's supercharger, Nitrous. I can tell you for a fact the stock fuel pump on my 07 GT could not keep up with my 100HP nitrous shot. I was getting lean fuel errors even with increasing the fuel jet size on the wet shot. I put a fuel gauge on and found out my fuel pressure dropped to about 30 psi while shooting the nitrous. This gentleman is not good, it's about one step before KABOOM! After upgrading to an external MSD booster pump, the issue went away. So I don't know about the stock pump effectively supporting 400 HP let alone 600HP. I would say don't even think about supercharging without upgrading your fuel pump. Don't be cheap, be smart. Fuel pumps are cheap compared to the whole package price of a supercharger.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:42 AM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

What we're talking about here is modifying the stock pump, not using it as is (KB) or replacing it (Whipple). The stock pump and tune won't supply you with enough fuel without modification. What KB is saying is that the stock pump will support up to 600 HP with modification. Using a higher voltage for the stock pump and modifying the tune so the computer doesn't give the injectors a shorter duration rectifies the situation. If you used an MSD pump booster, then that is the same thing as what KB is doing. So you are basically running the same fuel pressure system at a little over 400HP that we are talking about here. KB said the pump will take 600HP, but nobody here said they were going that high. Both the Whipple and the KB 9 psi kit will produce around 520-530 at the crank. Changing out your fuel pump is another way to do it and it works, but it's more old school. It heats the fuel up since the pressue is always up there even at idle and the pump can run hotter and fail sooner. The boost-a-pump doesn't kick in extra voltage until boost reaches about 3 psi and it is also a voltage regulator which protects the pump even more. KB states that they have sold thousands of their boost-a-pumps without one failure that wasn't an improper installation. If I go with KB, I have no doubt it will work as advertised.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:27 PM
GrabberOrange07
2nd Gear Member

Silverstang, whats the update on your install?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:17 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

FL510 have you received the Whipple yet and did it come with the fuel pump? Have you done the install yet?

Quick Reply: whipple