Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HOLY COW! (turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:01 PM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HOLY COW! (turbo)

ORIGINAL: retfr8flyr

ORIGINAL: BlackBetty

Make sure you give us a write-up on the install/tune and everything. You're lucky you didn't throw 4.10s in there before you went FI. Can you give us details on your built motor?
I’ll keep everyone updated when I start the install and as it progresses. The short block is the 3v block with Cobra crank, Manley I beam rods, Manley pistons coated with ceramic domes and teflon skirts. I think this will hold up for what I am planning. I upgraded the turbo kit with ball bearing turbos, larger intercooler and manual boost controller. The kit also comes with a 90mm C&L barrel and Diablo MAFia. My tuner doesn’t like the MAFia so Jim changed it to the SCT 2800 bigmouth. I’m really looking forward to getting this combination installed and sorted out.

Earl
This whole system sounds badass but way $$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 PM
frop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frop

That Dyno graph was with just 11 degrees of timing at 18 psi on race gas, they did it just to see what would happen.
11* @ 6k?!? I believe that when I sh*t out my mouth & puke out my a**. That shouldn't even make up there with that little timing, let alone make ANY power.
Well you can call Jim Napier at 505-220-2988 and call him a liar or just start wearing you shorts on your f***ing head.
Guess I better tape a barf bag to my shorts.[:'(]
Old 12-08-2006, 01:39 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

kcary, for 6500 plus the cost of engine internals, you get a crazy amount of potential. You could pay 5 grand for the Saleen SC and get a little over 400 to the wheels, or you could pay a couple thousand more and blow the doors off of pretty much every Vette you came across. Plus you get to have those two nasty looking turbos in your engine bay. Yes, costly, but I think it's worth it, and apparently so does retfr8flyr!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Here's one of the first mail order THP kits that was installed by our friends over at Blow By Racing. Chris did a great job on it and the car is simply beautiful!!

Old 12-08-2006, 02:08 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

BlackBetty, Yes this kit is expensive but I feel it is well worth the extra money. I looked at all the options when I was trying to decide on what FI to go with. I wanted to go turbo but also wanted to keep the cats as I live in VA and even though we don’t have emissions testing where I am yet, the car will not pass inspection without cats. None of the turbo kits I liked had this capability so I had decided to get the Whipple and actually was on the preorder list with Lethal. Then Whipple wouldn’t produce a tune for the HO kit on the automatic so I canceled the order. I finally found the Turbo Horsepower website and after talking extensively with Jim Napier, great guy to talk with, I ordered the kit. By the way I will have my Kooks headers and catted x-pipe for sale after I do the install for anyone looking for a good deal.

Earl
Old 12-08-2006, 02:33 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Here are some shots of the kit for anyone interested.

Earl

[IMG]local://upfiles/39416/433E960896C6481E9CAD041A6CBE605C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39416/26D962C31D114FADB8A478B0CA9D1C67.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/39416/980785CC095442F2B52A2A9F51FA73EF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 PM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

kcary, for 6500 plus the cost of engine internals, you get a crazy amount of potential. You could pay 5 grand for the Saleen SC and get a little over 400 to the wheels, or you could pay a couple thousand more and blow the doors off of pretty much every Vette you came across. Plus you get to have those two nasty looking turbos in your engine bay. Yes, costly, but I think it's worth it, and apparently so does retfr8flyr!
I was kinda talking about the system, plus the whole new block buildup and all. 6500 for that potential is amazing, but when you add in that he is getting a new block with all those extras too, it's way more than I will probably ever be able to afford personally.

So, retfr8flyr, you say you're in VA, whereabouts?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kcary

I was kinda talking about the system, plus the whole new block buildup and all. 6500 for that potential is amazing, but when you add in that he is getting a new block with all those extras too, it's way more than I will probably ever be able to afford personally.

So, retfr8flyr, you say you're in VA, whereabouts?
I live about half way between Richmond and Williamsburg.

Earl

Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

If it would fit on my car I would do it in a heart beat, but i have no where to relocate the battery to.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:46 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteStallion06

OMG [sm=jawdrop.gif]

did you see the video of the silver saleen with 912 on that page... that was one of the best sounding car ive ever heard but you could tell theres was a lot more done to that than just twin turbos ..... that car was a bit on the extreme side but sounded great... only thing is you can tell that car isnt made to handle taht much the guy cant even control it i bet hed have a hard time hooking up with that thing at the track ..... itd prob be like spin city trying to get off the line
Yea I saw this video too, the guy obviously has done nothing or very little else to the car to help support the power, I mean he is all over the road. I would never race him even at a track, I would be too scared he would end up getting into me instead of the wall. I mean I have driven a 1200hp Supra and a 900hp Camaro that didn't break like that. Scary car if you ask me, and not a good scary.

Matt, you haven't filled up the trunk with subwoofers, have you?

I would consider the sound of twin turbos spooling/blowing off an even better upgrade to the sound system.

You could always scrap on of the rear seats for a battery storage area.
BlackBetty I thought about it but I want the interior to look clean and more of a stock feel, it will have a 6pt cage in it soon enough but that is because I need a place to mount the Nitrous bottles I already have

I think I will end up with the Turbonetics single turbo kit instead. I also like the Roush and MagnaCharger SCs for the sake that they put a 3yr 36K mi powertrain warranty on the car so I dunno too many decisions to make and not enough time to make them. The Turbonertics kit would perform better than the two SCs mentioned but would have no powertrain warranty. And before someone spouts off about the nitrous voids it, it takes me under 2 hours to remove the entire kit so no one would ever know

Quick Reply: HOLY COW! (turbo)