Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Frozen parking brake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 04:20 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Default Frozen parking brake?

We've had snow on the ground in Ithaca for a couple days now, and my car has been hanging around in the cold (not been driven since the snow fell). I got in it today and when I released the parking brake, I could feel that there was no tension through the last couple inches of letting it down. As I pulled out of my spot, I noticed that I had to rev higher to get the car moving, but I figured it was just a bit of snow moving around under the tires. As soon as put the clutch in to slow down for the turn out of the parking lot, the car really slowed down (it felt like engine braking). It felt like the parking brake was stuck with the pads contacting the rotors. I worked the handle up and down for a while and it felt like it loosened up a bit, but didn't totally cure itself. I just hope it gets better if it gets above freezing anytime.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any way to fix/prevent it?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:47 PM
hags

Default RE: Frozen parking brake?

BlackBetty,

The same thing happened to me in my '05 this week. Temps dropped into the 20's Wednesday night and my parking brake was frozen the next morning. It turns out there is a TSB for this issue (see bulletin 06-5-4 at http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...ns-060923.html), so your dealer will fix it for free.

Matt
Old 12-09-2006, 09:48 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Frozen parking brake?

BlackBetty,
I've had the same thing happen to me this winter.I'm near Columbus. There is a TSB out for this, but when I checked mine, the cable boots were in perfect condition, mines onlt a few months old.I just don't use the parking brake all the time anymore, especially if it's above freezing in the day & below @ night. Seems if it stays below freezing day & night it's not been an issue.
You can reach under the car just foward of the rear tires & work the parking cable housing back & forth a bit, where it hangs down the lowest & may free it up that way,I've had luck doing that.
There is alot of topics on this on here & other Mustang forums you can look into.
aircare