MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   3.55 limited slip, worth it compared to stock? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/216162-3-55-limited-slip-worth-it-compared-to-stock.html)

Mike521 12-09-2006 06:52 PM

3.55 limited slip, worth it compared to stock?

Hey all, need some info from the experts for someone who knows very little about mechanics

ford's description of the 3.55 axle (at fordvehicles.com when I build my mustang) reads:

rear axle features a limited slip, 3.55:1 final drive ratio for quick acceleration.
So for someone who's not planning to upgrade or customize their car after purchase, is the 3.55 any better than whatever comes stock? is ford's description accurate?

Also I read another post where someone mentioned that 4.1 axles might decrease gas mileage, can that be said of the 3.55 as well? Obviously I'm not buying the mustang for gas mileage but I'll still be happy to get 25 sometimes

Thanks all, wish me luck, I'm gathering final offers now and will probably order my mustang within the next week or two, and get the shipment in february!

BoidMorphs 12-09-2006 07:05 PM

RE: 3.55 limited slip, worth it compared to stock?

The '06 models came with 3.55's stock and I've yet to have heard from anyone that has switched over to 4.10's and not loved it! I wouldn't pay the extra $100 for the upgrade when you order if you're only going to end up replacing the rear end with 4.10's at some point later on anyway. If you're sure you're not going to make a change, then, yes, I'd definitely go with the 3.55's. Don't even consider the gas mileage factor since the difference is not that much.

Apoptosis 12-09-2006 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

The '06 models came with 3.55's stock and I've yet to have heard from anyone that has switched over to 4.10's and not loved it! I wouldn't pay the extra $100 for the upgrade when you order if you're only going to end up replacing the rear end with 4.10's at some point later on anyway. If you're sure you're not going to make a change, then, yes, I'd definitely go with the 3.55's. Don't even consider the gas mileage factor since the difference is not that much.
4.10's for an auto, 4.30's for a manual.

If you are NOT going to mod it at all, then go for the 3.55 rear end. But if you have the slightest mentality that you might eventually mod it, then don't do it.

Mike521 12-09-2006 07:38 PM

thanks guys, I highly doubt I'm going to modify it. I'm not a racer, and my current car is a 97 altima, so I'm already getting something a million times more powerful than what I'm stuck with at the moment. plus I just don't have that kinda cash to throw around anyway

slow07 12-09-2006 11:38 PM

If you just wanna cruise it, save your $100. You will get even better mileage with the 3.31s, and it will still pull well too. You won't be shooting for 25 mpg... but 30 mpg (on the highway).

jerjan 12-10-2006 02:15 AM

A 100 bucks is not a lot of money. Especially when the car costs over 20K. Putting 4.10 gears in the car later will cost a whole lot more than that. But, a 100 bucks might be worth it to you for 3.55s. Either way my 07 came with 3.31 gears with posi even though the sticker didn't say it had posi, it did. If you drive a lot in the city I would say upgrade. If you drive a lot of highway miles don't. If you cant afford a hundred bucks, what can I say?

Mike521 12-10-2006 02:31 AM

yea that's what I was thinking when I built it on the website -- 100 bucks when I'm spending 26k isn't much extra in exchange for some better pickup. like I said it'll be the only mod this car ever sees, in all likelihood

does anyone have accurate info as far as the gas mileage difference? seems like there are conflicting opinions.

if it's 1 mpg then I don't care, but if we're talking 5 or 10, well like I said this car is already going to blow away my current ride, so I don't really need every ounce of extra power

Apoptosis 12-10-2006 03:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike521

yea that's what I was thinking when I built it on the website -- 100 bucks when I'm spending 26k isn't much extra in exchange for some better pickup. like I said it'll be the only mod this car ever sees, in all likelihood

does anyone have accurate info as far as the gas mileage difference? seems like there are conflicting opinions.

if it's 1 mpg then I don't care, but if we're talking 5 or 10, well like I said this car is already going to blow away my current ride, so I don't really need every ounce of extra power
nah, if you go from 3.31's to 4.10's, then you might have like 2 MPG difference. It is slight but it is noticeable.

If I were you I would go for the 3.5's and grab a tuneless GMS CAI, they add about a mpg and 25RHWP [sm=smiley20.gif]

Mike521 12-10-2006 03:43 AM

ok that sounds good but what's a tuneless GMS CAI, and what does RHWP stand for? :) how much does a tuneless GMS CAI go for, including installation?

Apoptosis 12-10-2006 03:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike521

ok that sounds good but what's a tuneless GMS CAI, and what does RHWP stand for? :) how much does a tuneless GMS CAI go for, including installation?
Tuneless Cold Air Intake, it is a mod that adds 25 Rear Wheel Horse Power. The CAI costs $300 I think shipped and is the easiest thing to put on, you just need to know how to use a screw driver and you got it.