Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05 4.6 GT Stang VS. 2001 Audi S4 Stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:36 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 05 4.6 GT Stang VS. 2001 Audi S4 Stage 2

ORIGINAL: UrS4

Well speaking from some experience it will be hard for you to win.

The 2001 S4 is within a 100 lbs of you, they are on a much smaller plat form than the current S4 with a V8.

His stage 2 means ECU chip, auto trans chip upgrade, and some minor exhaust upgrade.

He is putting down a little bit more than you to the ground, 265 awhp to you presumed 255 rwhp.

His torque will be 50ftlbs more at the wheels than his hp numbers. My single turbo set up put about 90 more ftlbs over my hp numbers.

I am pretty sure his gearing is around 4.11s because that is what mine was and I have never heard of audi people changing their gears.

My 94 put out 330hp at the crank and its third gear when on boost pulled harder than my stang does (mods in sig). I think the S4 your racing will have a strong third gear too.

Since he is an auto he may try and brake boost you from the dig but most likely he will just mash and go.

Mod your car or at the very least put in 93 octane with 104 octane booster, pull everything out of the car, spare, jack, back seat, and only run a 1/4 tank full of gas or less, pull off your axle backs too.
Oh yeah and be prepared to leave $200 bucks poorer.
So not listen to this person.. Putting Octane booster in your tank will only lead to you screwing your car over. Never run Octane booster on these engines.
Next you only need 93 octane if you have a tune for it. Even with a tune there is no reason to ever run octane booster N/A or race fuel with 93 octane you can get all the timing needed.

Also the final gear ratio for an 2001 Auto S4 is 3.51 while the manual is a 4.11
Old 12-12-2006, 05:43 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtbro

My Name is Andrew, and I'm the guy with the Audi. Robert asked me to come on here and post some info on my car even though he is still going to lose really bad.

I have a 2001.5 Audi S4 I Have APR Downpipes w/ Catback behind it. i have a modded airbox which is considered to be a cold air intake. car wieghts in at 3670 lbs w/ spare, jack, tools. (i will obiously be taking that out for the race). The chip i have is APR as well. I have 265 going to the wheels, and 315 lbs/tor about 320-330 at the crank and 370 Lbs/Tor. I also have the tip chip(tiptronic shifting) which gives me quicker shifting. (Stock takes 1 second to shift, and wth tip chjip about half a sec. It ends up making a big diffrence.)

URS4: You are pretty familiam with audis, reading your user name i am guessing you have and audi or used to. Yes i will be brake boosting, so that i can get a nice launch on him. You are also right with the gearing we can not change it and that is the gearing i have (4.11). As for the 100 octane, the Chip i have is very smart and can adapt to the change in octane which automaticly advances my timing for me. Then when i switch back to stock or regular gas, the timing changes with it. I have not traked my car so i dont have an exact number, but i have raced a C5 vette many times (buddies car) and have taken it everytime. i know they runs low 13's so you do the math. Not bad for a automatic luxury sedan a guys.

Anyways Roberts reasoning why he thinks he can take me, is because he raced a (bad) STI driver and won. I beat STI also by the way. Once i go Stage three (turbo upgrade) i'll be running low 12's to high 11's (cost $5,000 for stage 3). so there was nice quick Audi lesson for you guys. Have fun and i will see if we can video tape this and post up here, I think robert said he wouild.

Where are you located.. I'll race you for $200 in my N/A mustang..

FYI you car has 3.511:1 final gear ratio stock, the Manual has the 4.111:1 final gear ratiou
Old 12-12-2006, 05:46 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: giovani13

I have a dumb question. What do stock auto GT's run? Isn't low 13's fairly easy with a tune? I know CAI, tune, and UDP on a manual will get you at least in the low 13's all day.
Well a Superchips had a stock auto GT at their private track rental about a week ago. They put a JLT CAI and Tuned the car and ran 13.2 @103 with the car. It only had the CAI and tune added to it.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:00 PM
05gtbro

Hey guys Andrew Again, VSOP you are correct i read the worng transmssion type.

VSOP: judging by your mods, your 1/4mile time, and you WHP , we can all say you will beat me. But if you wanna run for fun i am also into that . If my S4 was a 6 speed i would deffinatly take that bet. I will be getting a 6 speed next summer, but thats besides the point. I am not the type of guy that races for money very offten. i have only raced for cash about three time not including this race. There are still a few other things i need to do with my Tip S4, once though's are done i will be back to take that bet VSOP lloll......

05GTBro (robert) here now. Thanks vsop for the info, I will look into getting the CAI and Tune for the race. i should be right next to him then. i'll keep everyone posted.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:31 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtbro

Hey guys Andrew Again, VSOP you are correct i read the worng transmssion type.

VSOP: judging by your mods, your 1/4mile time, and you WHP , we can all say you will beat me. But if you wanna run for fun i am also into that . If my S4 was a 6 speed i would deffinatly take that bet. I will be getting a 6 speed next summer, but thats besides the point. I am not the type of guy that races for money very offten. i have only raced for cash about three time not including this race. There are still a few other things i need to do with my Tip S4, once though's are done i will be back to take that bet VSOP lloll......

05GTBro (robert) here now. Thanks vsop for the info, I will look into getting the CAI and Tune for the race. i should be right next to him then. i'll keep everyone posted.
I was just joking with you.. I no longer race for money. Back when street racing was still possible with out a bunch of ricer wanna be racers screwing it up, I would go out and race for cash.
Never raced at the track for money... Rather just work on getting my times down. I almost purchased the new RS4, but the dealers were trying to make a quick buck on them. Getting in on the order over 6 months ago, to hold my spot as 2nd inline they wanted 8K over msrp..

I wish they kept the s4 a turbo setup, instead of a N/A v8.

And Rob- Give justin at VMPTuning a call or email and get a CAI and Xcal2 from him.. You will very happy with the results
Old 12-12-2006, 08:17 PM
05gtbro

Cool thank for everyones input, Andrew is gone for the day but im sure you'll hear from him again. I will post video after race

-Robert-
Old 12-12-2006, 09:26 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks vsop for educating me on not using octane booster.

I was going on experience with my audi, my chipset could adjust timing and fuel curves up to 100 octane.

I ran 98 octane with a CAI + Evo tune in the stang this summer at a road racing event and it pulled harder than on just 93 octane.

My current tuner's 87 octane tune can adjust timing and fuel if it recognizes higher octane fuel. I saw this on my car's dyno runs using my 87 octane tune with 93 octane in the tank. The timing started at 21 at the begining of the run and after 4500 rpms it was at 30 which is where my 93 octane tune runs. The peak hp ad trq numbers were similar albeit the numbers were significantly lower in the bottom of the rev range than my 93 octane tune.

I guess I was thinking that a 12 year newer Ford ECU would be able to adjust to changes in octane rating. I guess the spanish oak processor lacks the ability to advance timing and fuel even though it can pull timing and fuel.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:47 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

98 is pointless. You can run the max timing needed for this engine on 93, that can be had on 98. Zero Gains.. Actually probably a loss in HP.

Most tuners will turn off the alot of adaptive features of the computer as it will screw things more then help. The learning function is not needed when you are tuning the car for a specific setup.
While the car does have a knock sensor setup so that it can adjust the timing, putting 93 in a stock 87 tune will do nothing for you. As it is not set to go any higher on the timing other then to pull timing when the knock sensors tells it to.

If you want to run 87 then have a tune for 87 loaded then when you want to run 93 load the 93 tune. Its that simple.
as for the octane booster, it will foul up the plugs and can destroy the O2 sensor and cats on the car. Incase you did not know the Spark plugs on our cars are not cheap.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:02 AM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

How much did your Audi cost?
[8D]CB
Old 12-13-2006, 04:15 PM
05gtbro

Andrew here again, I'm not sure if you are reffering to URS4 or my S4, brand new my car goes for about $45k i got it for $18,600 used and with 58k miles on it (great price). I bought the my S4 stock and have had it for about 3 years now. Car now has 90kmiles on it and i have put about $2,500 into the car. Stock my car runs 14.5 - 14.9 1/4 and now it runs low 13's.....So basically it cost me $2,500 to bring my 1/4 time down almost 2 seconds. not too bad. I have full interior. see ya