Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Closing the hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:32 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Default Closing the hood

How do you guys close your hood. With mine, it seems the only way to get it to latch is to drop it from about a foot and a half in the air. I've tried just getting it into the safety latch and then sqqueezing it down the rest of the way, but I didn't have success with this. Do I just need to push harder? I just feel so terrible dropping it like that, and if I ever got a carbon fiber hood, I would crack it the first time I had to close it.

On a slightly unrelated note, I was looking at real hood pins the other day. My question is how does the stud mount inside the engine bay, and how the heck do you get it to line up properly?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Closing the hood

My hood is pretty much the same way. The hood pins usually will go where the outer hood stops go. Mount the studs and close the hood with double tape for the point for the hole. There should already be a mark though from the factory stops.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:11 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

How do you guys close your hood. With mine, it seems the only way to get it to latch is to drop it from about a foot and a half in the air. I've tried just getting it into the safety latch and then sqqueezing it down the rest of the way, but I didn't have success with this. Do I just need to push harder? I just feel so terrible dropping it like that, and if I ever got a carbon fiber hood, I would crack it the first time I had to close it.
Personally I have always pushed mine down as far as it will go then sat on it to close it. I never liked dropping my hood from high up for fear of cracking or shattering my lights. ( I have personally seen this happen on other cars ) I don't remember opening the hood prior to my CAI or how I shut it back then. The fit on mine is snug do to the CAI shield and its rubber sealer (for lack of a better word) at the top of the shield. It seals of the area between the hood and the area around the CAI helping to prevent hot air from entering the filter area so it should be snug.

I think allot of hoods get dropped from a high up from habit or desire to get them to close properly. I would squeeze harder or try sitting on it. No dropping IMO.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:51 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I drop it from about 1 foot as well. Don't have hood problems as of yet....no hood flex during high speeds either.