Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Any Problems With UDP's???????

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:09 AM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

Default Any Problems With UDP's???????

I'm about to order a set of steeda udp's and I'm just wondering if anybody has had any bad experiences of note. I remember one post earlier where somebody said that their AC worked a little slower but nothing bad really. This is my daily driver so I want to be comfortable when driving it.... sooooooooooo suggestions and experiences please!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:50 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Any Problems With UDP's???????

I have had no problems. I did check my A/C output before-and-after (same day) with a thermometer, and afterwards the temp at idle went up by a few degrees on the thermometer but I didn't notice the difference by feel.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:07 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

^ Didn't you say you don't recommend them?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:02 AM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

I know Fred at Evolution Performance told me they weren't worth it, and that was after I told him I was looking to buy a set from him, lol!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:15 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Some people said they felt power. how come they are not worth it ?

is there a diffrenece in brands other than quality ? Cuz I found Roush pullies in a local shop here so I don't have to buy them from U.S. and would mezier water pump and roush pullies give me a diffrence in power ?

brent at brenspeed told me pullies dont require a tune.. thats one good point.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:05 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arwing

^ Didn't you say you don't recommend them?

I never said I didn't recommend them--or if I did, I was unclear in my writing. My point is that IF someone buys them, they need to be aware they are taking a risk, and there COULD be problems. I am willing to take that risk. So far, I have no regrets and I'm happy with them.

I have not seen ANY difference in brands--not even quality. I think they are all made in the same factory regardless of "brand". All the ones I have seen have been identical, despite being labeled "motoblue" or "steeda" or generic.

I do NOT, however, recommend the combo of the water pump and the UDPs. Here's why:

First off, if you already have the UDPs, then you aren't gaining much of anything by then adding the water pump. You've already gotten most of the HP gains that you would have gotten from the electric pump by simply underdriving the mechancial pump instead. In other words, if we assume that each mod is 10 HP on their own, then doing both is not worth 20. More like 12.

Second, combining the added electrical demands of the electric pump with the decreased alternator output thanks to the UDPs is a bad idea. There are several guys on m o d u l a r f o r d s who have this combo and have started having electrical failures and drained batteries. Coincidence? Maybe. It's certainly not conclusive. But it's enough to make me wary.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I have had them for at least a year and they are nothing but fantastic. They are no doubt the most affordable way to get increase performance. Don't get them and you will never know.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:17 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ANYBODY ELSE????????
Old 12-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I had them before my S/c and never had a problem with them. They were Motoblue.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:37 PM
cphair
1st Gear Member

I installed everything I have in one night, so I can't state any power differences... but my A/C works like it did before and I haven't had any problems. Mine are from Steeda as well.

Quick Reply: Any Problems With UDP's???????