Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tire pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:35 AM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tire pressure sensor

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

Okay, so they must have a battery in them, right? I guess this means that eventually you have to take them to Ford to replace the battery.

Good question. Either that or hopefully they have a small magnet and coil (like the batteryless flashlight, that you shake). They probably have a battery though.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 AM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

The 07's have tire pressure sensors? May I ask, "Why?" lol

My fathers 2000 vette has those also. Hes replaced them twice. lol
Old 12-15-2006, 12:02 PM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

They send out a very low voltage signal, designed to work for 5 years +. If you dont put them onto your new wheels you will get a blinking tire pressure light everytime you start the car. It will blink about 10 times and then go off. As for the other light mentioned with the arrow pointing at a speedometer, that is your cruise control light.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:37 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RED121572

The 07's have tire pressure sensors? May I ask, "Why?" lol
Federal law, for one thing. By 2008 (?), all new cars will have them. I did some research on the internet, and there seems to be two kinds. One kind is with the in-the-wheel sensors like the '07 Mustangs. The other type is tied to the ABS. They work on the principle that a tire that is low rotates at a different speed than one that's inflated properly. Both types have their downsides.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cphair

My '05 has the spot in the dash for that light, but there aren't any sensors. Kind of how there is an upward pointing arrow in the middle of the tach to act as a shift light... that also isn't activated. Guess Ford felt like wasting some time putting in things that aren't used.
Nah, it's more probably a communication issue. The dash designers weren't included in the discussions concerning the rest of the car, so they built in a feature that everyone else forgot to implement....or the other way around.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:43 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slow07

My dealer tried to turn it off, and couldn't since it is a mandatory safety thing mandated by the government. Oh, and they are on metal bands that go around the rim. They are not related to the valve stem at all. I just got mine fixed (longer F-150 bands for 20" wheels).

BTW, your car sounds like it is identical to mine, except for the wheels.

Got some pics of your Stang?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:21 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

My dealer tried to turn it off, and couldn't since it is a mandatory safety thing mandated by the government. Oh, and they are on metal bands that go around the rim. They are not related to the valve stem at all. I just got mine fixed (longer F-150 bands for 20" wheels).

Sorry, I've been away for a while. All of my pics are too large to post. I can e-mail them to you tomorrow if you would like.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:05 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

Sorry, I've been away for a while. All of my pics are too large to post. I can e-mail them to you tomorrow if you would like.
or, you can learn how to shrink its size by following this procedure:

1. open them in micorsoft paint
2. go to the toolbar and open image.
3. inside image select stretch/skew
4. inside stretch/skew go to stretch and change the horizontal/vertical to lets say 70%
5. save
6. normally 1 or 2 mb pics will be reduced to about 300-400kb or less

with a smaller size, you can post easily here...good luck.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:51 PM
bcolem10

Your tires dont have to rotate for the sensors to work. The pcm reads the sensor once a minute when the car reaches 32mph. If the car is not moving the sensor goes to sleep to save the battery.If you let the air out of one tire after a minute or two the light will come on, then refill the light goes out after a little time. I put all 4 sensors in a 2 inch sealed pvc tube with a valve stem in one end set pressure to 32psi mounted it in the trunk light went out. Best way to go !!!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:16 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

what? i have a flat tire (very small leak it takes a month to go down) today it was almost complete flat but i never saw any warnings.. so do 06s have that tire pressure warnings or something? or just 07+

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensor