Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hit Rev Limiter

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 PM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

Default Hit Rev Limiter

So today I take my car to work and when going home I hit the rev limiter in first gear.The car seems to run fine but I noticed the check engine light was on. Is there a way to reset it to have it go off.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:43 PM
FL510

Default RE: Hit Rev Limiter

I don't know about resetting the light, but I have hit the rev limiter and have never made the ck engine light come on.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:52 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

The most likely senerio is that it detected a random mifire. It will go out on its own after a while unless it sees the issue more than one time. I guess you don't have programmer. If you know someone that does, they can pull the code and clear the light. If you do have one,it will tell you what it is from.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:36 PM
silver2005

Disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes and the code should clear.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:39 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver2005

+1. it should stay off unless theres really a problem (unlikely). i've revved mine to 7 grand (oops) with no problem. i had just gotten my CAI on the day before, and stayed in 2nd gear too long. funny thing, it pulled all the way up to there and never showed a sign of giving up.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:32 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

+1. it should stay off unless theres really a problem (unlikely). i've revved mine to 7 grand (oops) with no problem. i had just gotten my CAI on the day before, and stayed in 2nd gear too long. funny thing, it pulled all the way up to there and never showed a sign of giving up.
Your a brave brave man.....I wouldnt want to see what would happen when she did give up lol..[8D]

I've hit the rev limiter a number of times and never had my CEL pop on... I agree with Musiccity probably a misfire.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:24 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I've hit the limiter too often in 2nd in mountain road passing situations. Always a bummer to have the thing shut down in the middle of a pass. [:@]I wish they had engineered a warning of some type instead of that sudden deceleration thing. I hit it once in third, was a surprise. Have the Granatelli CAI and gets there with ease.

Haven't had any lights at any time in 16.5k miles.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:26 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

Your a brave brave man.....I wouldnt want to see what would happen when she did give up lol..[8D]

I've hit the rev limiter a number of times and never had my CEL pop on... I agree with Musiccity probably a misfire.

haha. definetly wasn't on purpose. i wasn't used to the extra power, and it was accelerating so fast it just shocked me and i forgot to shift. usually it drops off about 5700 ish, but it just kept pulling, so i kept my foot in it. didn't even look down. the noise was glorious.

which begs the question. why shouldn't i rev it that high? mechanically speaking, what is the weak link here? it obviously makes power pretty high up. am i gonna float a valve or something? not enough fuel? overheating?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:23 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I missed third and hit 7k on the tach, sounded sweeeeeeeeettttttttttttttt and i've never had the check engine light come on. I've hit the rev limiter twice in first when it was still at the stock settings.

I need a shift light bad.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:12 AM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

If your CEL came on when revving your engine that high, I would recommend you at least have the code checked by even autozone. If you post the code you got I can tell you exactly what it means, what could be causing it and whether or not you have anything to worry about. It could be a lean code or a P0148 (at least one bank lean under WOT). If this is the case, your vehicle is running lean at the top end and the wost case scenario here (given you continue to drive it like this with no change) is an engine with stretched intake valves. It would then be a big paper weight. Trust me man, check the code and tell me what it is if you care about what's going on in there.

The weak link at high revs is typically your valvetrain. The springs just can't shut the valves fast enough and you could either just end up with some misfires or you could pop off some followers and possibly do some serious damage. The bottom end of these engines, from what I have seen is rather tough. I wouldn't push it much past 7k. Granted there are likely some tuners out there that can keep the engine making good power at higher than stock RPM's, but anyone here who has ever looked at a dyno chart knows that your peak torque and power is RARELY at the engine's maximum speed. When you rev this high, you are only buying yourself feet in a 1/4 mile race (so you don't have to shift) or matching your engine's power band to the shift point of the next gear. This, in turn requires the transmission's synchronizers to match speeds thousands of RPM's faster than what it is made for......and you may burn them up to. Go ask the Honda guys how long their short throw super duper quicky shifting transmissions last when their car revs to 9 or 10 grand.........my buddy got about 8000 miles before his gave up after getting his to rev to almost 10.
The point to this paragraph is this: Revs aren't necessarily going to make you faster or allow you to make more power. Your engine can only breathe as much as the intake and exhaust are made for. Go drive an old carburated 302 in like an LTD. There is no rev limiter because the engine just can't breathe enough to rev itself out. Should you drive a car that CAN over rev itself and get in the red - pop goes the weasel.