Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BEEYATCH hit my car...UGGHH

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 PM
kk7sm

Default RE: BEEYATCH hit my car...UGGHH

I got rear ended at a toll plaza in North Dallas a few months ago. It's amazing how well the Mustangs hold up to that. It didn't even scratch my back bumper, but damaged his front end and popped his hood up fairly well.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

as a matter of fact..she was..the FHP did not want to give her a citation and I appreciate it...because IF she fought it and won then her insurance company would not be liable...but since the officer was kind enough to videotape her ADMITTING fault on his dashboard Cam and also it clearly stated she was at fault.he just knew Fla law very well and was looking out for us...on another note he did state for the record 3 times she was at fault. had her admit that and also offered his services if needed in a court case against her..she admitted several times as well apologized to me......(take your apology and stick it up your..>>>>>>*&*$#376 thanks for your support guys....who has the best deals on replacement fascias.....???
I'll chime in on this one too...Seems like I'm always the resident insurance guy who chimes in....

It's a rear end accident. She's at fault. It doesnt matter if she is cited or not. If she goes to court to beat the ticket she could just plead it down and take driving school, that does not mean she's not at fault. The insurance company would definitely NOT be able to deny because she beat the ticket. ESPECIALLY in a rear end accident where liability is so clear.If the officer told you this, then he's just dead wrong. He probably didnt give her a ticket because he knew her or something. In fact, NOT giving her a ticket may be worse. Because the insurance company would expect that she would be cited, and if she wasn't, maybe there's something the officer saw or thought that did not warrant she receive a ticket. So if she's not cited, she could then say you cut in front of her and slammed on your brakes. But if she was cited, and it's on the police report that she rear ended you, then she doesnt have a leg to stand on.

There's been many occasions were I've found against someone when the police did not give them a ticket. The police investigation is mostly irrelevant. We take statements, look at damages, light sequences, wittnesses and any other info available. Now if we're at a deadlock and can't come to a good decision, then certainly the police report could come into play to help firm up a decision. But it is certianly not relied upon exclusively.

You likely wont have a choice on what happens with the repair on your car (unless you want to pay the difference in costs out of your own pocket). If the insurance company desides to repair instead of replace the rear bumper cover, I would certainly argue that the heat of the exhaust willlikely cause the repairs to break down over time...but even that is not guaranteed. And best piece of advice I can ever give...DON'T BEA DICK!...Dont call your insurance company all pissed off because you think you deserve something that you really dont. If you act like a jerk when talking to them, expected to be treated the same way. Would you go out of your way to help someone who's all up in your facing yelling and insisting on stuff and calling you an idiot? No? Well neither will I. I'm much much much more likely to bend the rules to help someone who's nice and calm and rational. In fact, most people that call pissed off and cursing just get hung up on, and then they get nothingthey want.

Accidents suck, but you and the family are ok...it's just a car (albeit a badass car).

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

+1 4wheelkillr the resident insurance guy
you could have been smoking crack and blind it would be her fault the law says that the person that hits from behind is at fault period no questions asked even in FLA it's an automatic fault the legal name is something to the effect of "following at unsafe distance" so if the cop tried to tell you something else I guess he did not like you as much as you think or liked her more then he let on.

Yeah just call your insurance company find out how many quotes they want run around and get them have them pay YOU to get it fixed, take the cash and get something aftermarket that you like but don't think that you will get them to ok anything other then the stock bumper that was on there when you got hit.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:07 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4wheelkillr

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

as a matter of fact..she was..the FHP did not want to give her a citation and I appreciate it...because IF she fought it and won then her insurance company would not be liable...but since the officer was kind enough to videotape her ADMITTING fault on his dashboard Cam and also it clearly stated she was at fault.he just knew Fla law very well and was looking out for us...on another note he did state for the record 3 times she was at fault. had her admit that and also offered his services if needed in a court case against her..she admitted several times as well apologized to me......(take your apology and stick it up your..>>>>>>*&*$#376 thanks for your support guys....who has the best deals on replacement fascias.....???
I'll chime in on this one too...Seems like I'm always the resident insurance guy who chimes in....

It's a rear end accident. She's at fault. It doesnt matter if she is cited or not. If she goes to court to beat the ticket she could just plead it down and take driving school, that does not mean she's not at fault. The insurance company would definitely NOT be able to deny because she beat the ticket. ESPECIALLY in a rear end accident where liability is so clear.If the officer told you this, then he's just dead wrong. He probably didnt give her a ticket because he knew her or something. In fact, NOT giving her a ticket may be worse. Because the insurance company would expect that she would be cited, and if she wasn't, maybe there's something the officer saw or thought that did not warrant she receive a ticket. So if she's not cited, she could then say you cut in front of her and slammed on your brakes. But if she was cited, and it's on the police report that she rear ended you, then she doesnt have a leg to stand on.

There's been many occasions were I've found against someone when the police did not give them a ticket. The police investigation is mostly irrelevant. We take statements, look at damages, light sequences, wittnesses and any other info available. Now if we're at a deadlock and can't come to a good decision, then certainly the police report could come into play to help firm up a decision. But it is certianly not relied upon exclusively.

You likely wont have a choice on what happens with the repair on your car (unless you want to pay the difference in costs out of your own pocket). If the insurance company desides to repair instead of replace the rear bumper cover, I would certainly argue that the heat of the exhaust willlikely cause the repairs to break down over time...but even that is not guaranteed. And best piece of advice I can ever give...DON'T BEA DICK!...Dont call your insurance company all pissed off because you think you deserve something that you really dont. If you act like a jerk when talking to them, expected to be treated the same way. Would you go out of your way to help someone who's all up in your facing yelling and insisting on stuff and calling you an idiot? No? Well neither will I. I'm much much much more likely to bend the rules to help someone who's nice and calm and rational. In fact, most people that call pissed off and cursing just get hung up on, and then they get nothingthey want.

Accidents suck, but you and the family are ok...it's just a car (albeit a badass car).

Good luck.
thanks, actually her insurance company have been a dream to work with, 2 weeks later, they sent me a check for their appraisers damage assemment. I bring it to the dealer on Monday where the rear fascia is being replaced with the CS/Shelby rear fascia and repainted etc. other than that all is well...except now I have 1 extra rear CS / SHelby fascia....great deal for anyone who wants it.....PM ME...
Old 01-05-2007, 05:14 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone

+1 4wheelkillr the resident insurance guy
you could have been smoking crack and blind it would be her fault the law says that the person that hits from behind is at fault period no questions asked even in FLA it's an automatic fault the legal name is something to the effect of "following at unsafe distance" so if the cop tried to tell you something else I guess he did not like you as much as you think or liked her more then he let on.

Yeah just call your insurance company find out how many quotes they want run around and get them have them pay YOU to get it fixed, take the cash and get something aftermarket that you like but don't think that you will get them to ok anything other then the stock bumper that was on there when you got hit.
actually no the FHP was very cool. He gave a statement (Police report) that clearly stated her at fault. The driver herself advised her insurance company she admitted and accepted fault as well. Believe me he was actually pretty obnoxious towards her, (he was a good ole boy) and he very clearly was jabbing fun at her ethnicity when he made a statement that if she wanted a copy of the police report she needed to bring 2 AMERICAN DOLLARS to a certain address even going further to advised that the FHP will not accpet pecos.....Personally I felt his comment was rude after he stated it, other than that he had her admit several times she was at fault, maybe he did not cite her because as he advised us he normally works gravetyard...maybe he did not want to have to go to court if she decided to fight the citation...who knows...doesnt matter at this point because A) my family was unhurt and B) her insurance company has already paid to get it fixed this monday...As I posted earlier I am getting it fixed on MOnday with a CS/Shelby rear fascia, I already fixed the exhaust myself (One bracket was slightly bent, no bent tubing at all) all will be great after it is fixed and I will post pics then....
Old 01-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

Yeah most important is the family's safty and your getting it fixed.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:39 PM
dewittalday

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad everything is OK. I'm constantly looking in my mirrors for people driving too close to me.

WebElectric Products sells a brake light pulser. I put that on my 2005. It will blink for a second or two and then go solid (so it doesn't annoy the person behind you when stopped). Real easy to install (think it was less than 30 minutes even with triple checking the wires I was splicing and doing a good job). It's just something to get the attention of the driver behind you, since everyone thinks they're driving Nascar and drafting all the time.

When I had a crotch rocket, I put Hyper Lites on the back. These are pulsing LED's, and were extremely bright and annoying. I purposely wanted it that way because people in cars do not know that motorcycles can brake much more quickly than they do. You may be able to get some of these and mount them inside your main brake lights - just something else to get the attention of the person behind you.

I thought I saw BMW had something where the brake lights would become more intense as the driver applied the brakes harder. Don't know if an aftermarket kit is available though.

There's a lesson to be learned here too - no tailgating and no talking on the cell while driving!