Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Theft recovery systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 05:48 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Theft recovery systems

ORIGINAL: SpeedRacer9220

I use Karr Track. Its a GPS based system also. I got it as a dealer installed option when my Mobile Guardian system was found to be defective causing my battery to die. The Karr technician said it is an upgraded system compared to Mobile Guardian.Don't know if thats true or not though,just what he said.
Do you have any contact information for them? I can't find them on the internet.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:56 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mike521

how much does it cost to upgrade from a ford factory alarm system to a vehicle recovery system?
Here's what I've found our from my research.

Depends on what you want. One of those systems, VehicleRecovery https://www.vehiclerecover.com:2004/plan_info.php is basically just a system that you can find out where the car is. It's not an alarm. It will notify you if the car speeds or leaves a certain area, with the trip speed and area being set by you. It's $250 + $30/yr for 14 "locates". Lojack runs about $600, but it's not an alarm, either. When you report the car stolen, police are able to track it down.

I did look into an alarm at Car Toys that included GPS tracking, but it didn't have some of the features of the '07 factory alarm, like motion detection, and it does replace the factory alarm. I didn't want that. Don't remember the brand, but it was about $400.

I haven't found what I want yet. The VehicleRecovery looks the best so far. I don't know anything about the company, though, so I'm not sure how long they'll be in business.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:49 AM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

hmm what about combining lojack with the ford factory alarm?

I did some checking with my car insurance company, lojack would save me about 100 / year. So in 6 years it'd pay for itself, making it basically free..

I'm looking for every discount I can get at this point. I'm even going to look into having daytime running lights installed lol
Old 12-24-2006, 04:49 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

My recomendation is STAY AWAY from Guidepoint systems. FYI, all these systems use GPS and cell phonetowers to work.

I bought their system for 400 something bucks for another car I have. Installed it ourselves at our resto shop.

It worked for 1 year perfectly fine. With the following exception. The system has a feature where you park the car, throw a switch, and they call your cell phone if someone moves the car so many feet or turns the ignition on for 5 minutes without throwing the switch off. Sounds great right? Problem is,they do not always call when the car is moved. I had like 4 false alarms where I set it off by accident in the first month I put the system in. Because you haveto remember to hit the switch. Butthey claim false alarms are ok. So I was perfect for a while and like three months later I accidently trip it again. No one ever calls me. Icalled them up, they claim "we thought it was another false alarm" . I was like WTF. They essentially decide whether they want to call based on how many false alarms you have had.

Then the system stopped workingabout a year after I bought it, AND according to the web site. It had not been working for three months. They are supposed to check it every month, obviously they never did that. After two weeks of calls, they said it was because it used analog cell towers, and all the analog towers in my area were being turned off, and now only digital signalswas availible and I needed to upgrade the box.

So essentially they wanted 200 bucks to upgrade me to the new digital boxas an exchange. Mind you, it was ayear old, and under full warrentee.I fought with them for a couple weeks again, andfinally agreed topay 100bucks for a new box andrenew with them another year. The new box comes, I put it in, turns out they defeated 95% of the security features in thesystem, which iswhy I bought it to beginwith.

After two-three months of trying to straighten it out. I disputed the last100dollarsmy CC company and won. But I now have a nice 400 dollar paperweight.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:22 PM
SpeedRacer9220
1st Gear Member

I really don't have any info on the Karr Track system other than it was done at the dealer. My Ford dealer has a contract with Karr Alarm systems and they do all the work at the dealership. The Ford factory alarm upgrade work is done by the Karr techs. The first system was a Mobile Guardian System but Karr Alarms have now switched to their own service I guess. I wasn't able to find any info on the web about their theft recovery system either, just info on their alarms. My guess is that it is a new feature that their company added and haven't updated their site yet. You can try to go to www.mykarrtrack.com and see if there is anything there.

Just to clarify, the Ford factory alarm upgrade is a diferrent option compared to the theft recovery system.They work together but are purchased separately. The theft recovery system is an optional add on upgrade.