Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hurst shifter...UPDATED PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst shifter

ORIGINAL: Johnnie D

damm i just got mine, i dont like the way the stock laether boot looks with the shifter, i was hoping to see more of the chrome [:'(]
I AGREE, LOOKS UNFINISHED.<<<
BUT IT IS A NICE SHIFTER .
Old 12-28-2006, 01:28 PM
billb60

Where is theboottop to leveradapter/filler?

ORIGINAL: code3GT

Also, installed the billet cup holder doo dad and red "GT" accessory plug...

Old 12-28-2006, 02:16 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Looks like somebody didn't get a shift boot adapter or didn't use it.

When I ordered my Hurst, it was missing the shift boot adapter. I called up Brenspeed, was here in two days.

-Jeff
Old 12-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

does anyone use the hurst shifter with the stock ****?
Old 12-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Johnnie D
2nd Gear Member

ohh ok cool, i have the adapter in the kit.....much better
Old 12-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

so this is just the regular hurst shifter...not the competition plus billet shifter right? And what is the real deal with the engineering hold?? Why is it taking so long???
Old 12-29-2006, 04:44 AM
DokterD

Default RE: Hurst shifter...UPDATED PICS

Don't forget to use some blue Locktite on the handle screws. The handle WILL vibrate loose after some time.
Also I use the T-handle. Seems to help to ensure putting the handle in the right place when shifting. I also got a black ball 'cause the aluminum T is freezing in cold weather.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:20 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fireguy28

so this is just the regular hurst shifter...not the competition plus billet shifter right? And what is the real deal with the engineering hold?? Why is it taking so long???
I had the billet shifter on order for about six months and gave up on it when Hurst finally told me that they weren't sure whenor if itwas ever going to come out. They just kept backing up the delivery date month after month. I don't know of anyone that has ever received one. And they did say it was an engineering hold...not that that means much. I finally ordered the regular one and it works fine...you don't need the shifter stop bolts anyway since the Tremec 3650 has internal stops. The advice about using the loctite is right on too...my shifter handle bolts worked loose twice, but since I used red loctite and put nuts on the ends of the bolts, no more problems.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:46 PM
drsam

Stock **** won't fit on this Hurst shifter to answer someones question above.

The Hurst shifter is a little taller than the factory, i'm currently trying to find out if Hurst makes one shorter.

As far as the shifter itself, heads above factory and easy to install. Instuctions come with it, they say you need 2 people , you don't. The only thing I'd say is when you get the factory shifter out ( have to hold your tongue right), the instructions will tell you to install the new one from the top. It's easier to just sit it in the hole and then get underneath to get it thru.

Also about the boot, i agree, it's hard to get on and easy to come off. My console got hot a few days after installation and low and behold it had slipped off!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:03 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

You're right that the stock **** won't work on the basic Hurst shifter that they sell, but there is a Hurst short throw shifter that uses the stock ****. The stock number is just one digit different than the regular shifter. Hurst sells three shifters for our cars. The basic one with the chrome stick and white ball, another short throw that looks just like the factory shifter with the stock looking stick and threads (no chrome Hurst stick) and the billet shifter (that apparently no one has seen yet).
I'm still waiting on my black Hurst shifter ball to come in...had to special order it...hard to find for some reason.

Quick Reply: Hurst shifter...UPDATED PICS