Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Air intake and Exhaust assistance needed. (new 07 owner)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 01:16 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

Default Air intake and Exhaust assistance needed. (new 07 owner)

Just bought an 07 Alloy GT 5 speed.
Looking to do a custom looking and functional cold air intake. and exhaust. and do I need a tuner or anything like that also?
(I do want the BEST for my money)

And I want to change of coarse the exhaust. Had an older GT for years and Flowmasters were the bomb. But I have read in most of yalls posts that Flows are'nt the way to go anymore. I am thinking Exhaust that will sound awesome (no Razz) but deep and throaty. and show some number gains in the car. ( either an H pipe or X Pipe with cats and axel back..) here again want a good system but not obnoxcious. (oh yea, it is a car I bought for my wife to have) any help is appreciated.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Grabbn 07
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Air intake and Exhaust assistance needed. (new 07 owner)

dont expect any horsepower gains from exhaust mods unless you do long tube headers, even then its nil
Old 12-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Congrats on your new car and welcome to the forum. In regards to a cold air intake there are severla options. Some of the more popular choices if you are going to do a tuner with it at the same time (tune is necessary) are the C&L and JLT Intakes. If you are on a budget you can get the Granatelli CAI with MAF and it will not require a retune as it comes with the piggyback MAF adaptor that will retune the MAF so you won't throw any codes. In regards to exhaust. Flowmasters are still the Shizz in my opinion and we have lots of customers with them that love em. The other popular choices are Borla Stinger or the FRPP Stingers.. Same thing by the way or the Corsa Axleback which is a quality set of mufflers with real nice tips and an awesome deep sound.

Here are some links to our site in reference to the Cold Air kits and tuners..Let us know if you have any questions and we'll be glad to assist you. Also remember we have a 5% Holiday Coupon only good until Dec 31st so order before then to receive it. The coupon can be used on the phone or by using it at checkout when ordering from our site. the coupon code is LETHALHOLIDAY (discount does not apply to SCT products as coupons that bring SCT products below MAP pricing is against their MAP policy) Please contact us if you have any additional questions,

We look forward to assisting you. Jared@Lethal

JLT and X Cal 2
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...t-x-cal-2.html

C&L and Predator
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...-predator.html

C&L with Xcal 2
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...al-pack-2.html

Granatelli Satin
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...maf-satin.html

Granatelli Polished
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...-polished.html

ORIGINAL: TASSY5

Just bought an 07 Alloy GT 5 speed.
Looking to do a custom looking and functional cold air intake. and exhaust. and do I need a tuner or anything like that also?
(I do want the BEST for my money)

And I want to change of coarse the exhaust. Had an older GT for years and Flowmasters were the bomb. But I have read in most of yalls posts that Flows are'nt the way to go anymore. I am thinking Exhaust that will sound awesome (no Razz) but deep and throaty. and show some number gains in the car. ( either an H pipe or X Pipe with cats and axel back..) here again want a good system but not obnoxcious. (oh yea, it is a car I bought for my wife to have) any help is appreciated.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:19 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the new ride.... if you want significant power gain id go with either the C&L CAI with Brent from Brenspeed tune .... or go with the JLT with Dougs tune from B A M Achips they are both great guys with great tunes and have heard nothing but good things about them both

Exhaust wont give you many gains if any at all but they sure do sound great just listen to as many clips as you can and its basicallywhat sound you like ... i have magnaflows and they arnt too obnoxious but when you get on it you can hear me from a good ways away and loud enough to scare the **** outta all the hondas (ive heard cars with straight pipes and to me thats just loud and obnoxious sounds like a truck almost not a good sound)

If you want to get gains from your exhaust you have to do a full set up with headers and a mid pipe .... long tube headers will give you good gains and the mid pipe if you go off road will not pass emissions and will be very loud but will give you good gains ...... the mid pipe x give you better flow but more of a raspy sound H gives you ok flow but gives you a good deep throaty sound thats my fav but again thats just my opinion

If you go to brenspeed.com they have a lot of different set ups and sound clips
Merry Christmas Hope this helps
Old 12-25-2006, 10:15 PM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

I like my JLT intake and tune from Brenspeed....its alot different now with that...I also did an o/r hpipe, and the vote is still currently out on that. I like the sound for the most part, except it trumpets at 2400-2600 rpm under more than 1/2 throttle, and I dont care for that...Otherwise I like it....its really loud, but still agressive sounding. These mods really woke the car up, and may be what you want to go with starting out
Old 01-04-2007, 11:42 PM
drsam

My experience with 07 GT exhaust. 1st bought MAC axleback and they sound awesome at idle and WOT, but terrrible "drone". Took those off and now have on Magnaflow and not quite happy with them. Not convince they aren't quieter than stock at idle, they do sound good at WOT. Exhaust is stock otherwise. Don't know what i'll do next, have always been a Flowmaster guy but was told they had the same drone as MAC. I'll have to say the factory ones sound better than any stock ones have in the past.

Just my opinion. Not something you can test and put a number on.

drsam