Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

$8,000 to spend - Help me spend it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 11:54 AM
daydark
2nd Gear Member

Default $8,000 to spend - Help me spend it!

Ok, my car is a stock '06 Saleen N/A. I've got 8 grand to spend. Let me hear your opinions!

I definitely want to get the Saleen blower. So please don't recommend another blower =-). Also, I don't really want to go over ~470 RWHP on the stock internals. I don't want to blow up my motor!

Option #1: I could go with the JDM Stage 2 kit for $6200, then I'd have $1800 left.

With that I could get a million other things, such as a a Dyno tune, GT500 fuel pump, aluminum driveshaft, Saleen S/C hood and spoiler, Wheels and drag radials, new clutch, electric water pump, etc, etc, etc, etc!!!!! (what would you get?)

Option #2 is to just buy a Saleen blower on its own (~$4,500) then have ~$3500 left over to spend on parts of my choice.

What would you do??
Old 12-25-2006, 12:12 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: $8,000 to spend - Help me spend it!

Turbo it.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:16 PM
daydark
2nd Gear Member

Did you even read my post? lol...
Old 12-25-2006, 12:26 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Man, people come in here with like 500 bucks or 1k to spend sometimes, and we help them out. You come in with 8 grand for a saleen? What'd ya do, rob a bank? [8D]

I would personally get that saleen blower, beef up the internals to be safe. I dont know prices and brands, but get that saleen blower for 4,500 bucks, then buy the new SCT livewire that is coming out soon, get a nice tune from SCT or brenspeed for that. After that I'd for sure get a full borla exhaust (my personal favorite), etc etc. Then with some left over you can do some suspension, lower it down an inch or two for a tighter drive. Get some drag radials and such, because you will need them. I almost would leave the gears stock if you're pushing 500 hp. Maybe do 3.73's with some drag radials.

To sum it up, Blower+SCT livewire tuner+ dyno tune+ full borla exhaust+ suspension upgrades to lower it and grip better+internals.
Then to be optional you can always get odd stuff like tint and new wheels if you dont like yours.That might land you around your price range, just giving you a guideline to what you can do for a safe 470 hp. All in all have fun man, Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2006, 12:26 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Your car is fricken beautiful.........

Mike

Old 12-25-2006, 01:11 PM
chirostang
2nd Gear Member

Wow. Your car is gonna kick ***.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:58 PM
kleistang
3rd Gear Member

go trader your car and get a shelby put the 8k down . Do the procharger kit, heads cams, and forged internals. i wouldnt do the saleen supercharger but its just me. procharger blowers are giving the best numbers till now i think
Old 12-25-2006, 03:07 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

saleen blower with all necessary acoutrement-roughly 5-6G
forged internals-who knows

but with that setup your pretty much set for life. come back when you have more money, fool.

or just get the saleen blower, and buy my car a full exhaust.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:12 PM
daydark
2nd Gear Member

Lots of people are recommending Forged Internals.

Since 475 HP was my goal I never considered it before, but I'd like to at least check it out.

Can anyone link me to a site that sells them? I'd like to check it out and learn about prices, etc.

EDIT: My stock crankshaft and bearings are fine right eh?
Old 12-25-2006, 03:54 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Since you asked my opinion........

I would do a CAI and tune, some other boltons. And strongly consider banking the 7g you have left.

The reason: Unless you are really keeping tis car for a long time, and not planning to get something new within a few years, you are lucky if you recover 20% of that money when you sell the car. That is providing you find someone who appreciates the work you have done.

I thought about the supercharger. But considering the large number or new, hot cars coming out soon. I dont want to have to worry about getting soaked onthe old car if I want to get something new.

If it were a 1960's something car that they did not make new, and I knew I was keeping forever,the money would not be a question. But given that they still make the car, and still areimproving it, I am stalled.

Quick Reply: $8,000 to spend - Help me spend it!