Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CARBON FIBEr DRIVE SHAFT AND WHEELS

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 03:35 PM
gibsonjb

Default CARBON FIBEr DRIVE SHAFT AND WHEELS

Hey guys, I need your opinions. Running about 400 flwhl hp and 320 rwhp on my 06 auto GT. I want to get more power to the ground. My suspension so far is stock. How much more power can I get to the pavemant by adding a carbon fiber shaft, steeda ultralight wheels, and a steeda suspension. I'm also considering a carbon fiber hood, maybe the cowl. Your thoughts are appreciated
Old 12-26-2006, 03:54 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CARBON FIBEr DRIVE SHAFT AND WHEELS

Do you have a link for the carbon fiber driveshaft? I've never seen one. Mine is Aluminum.

Suspension change won't save you much overall weight. My k-member weight savings up front was lost on the tourqe-arm in the rear. I'm sure it improved my weight transfer a little bit, but I can't say that it was noticable.

Saving weight on parts that spin is certainly more of an impact the parts that don't. There are lighter racing wheels than the Steeda's (e.g Centerline).

There are many articles (at least one here at MF) on saving weight. The first question really needs to be "How do you want drive the car?". Are you looking for time in the 1/4? If so, stickier tires and driving practice are way more significant IMO.

If you want noticable power to the ground that you can actually "feel" then get a s/c or Turbo
Old 12-26-2006, 06:42 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

what mods do you already have ?
Old 12-26-2006, 08:14 PM
ClemsonAce
1st Gear Member

here is his other post.... has his current mods in it.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2453078/tm.htm
Old 12-26-2006, 09:30 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Don't waste your $$$ on the carbon fiber driveshaft. The Aluminum one is actually 2 lbs lighter than the CF, and it's a lot less expensive.

The driveshaft is worth 10-15 RWHP. HP gains will vary with wheels. A set of really light race wheels like the Bogart drag wheels or the Fikse road race wheels will be worth 10-15 HP too, but they are very expensive so be warned!

As for the suspension, suspension is key to putting the power to the pavement. It is very hard to say what the "equivalent HP gain would be".

Anyway, I wouldn't buy very much from Steeda. They are very expensive and most of their parts are inferior to other brands in the marketplace. (though they do have a few very good items).

For info on suspension read these threads:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1696246/tm.htm

https://mustangforums.com/m_2184423/tm.htm
Old 12-26-2006, 09:42 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteStallion06

what mods do you already have ?
Summary of my mods is in my sig (too many to list them all).Pictures are in the MF photo gallery. Not in the pictues yetyet (being installed now) are my carbon fiber induction hood, and Autopower 4-point roll bar.
https://mustangforums.com/albumphoto...=6&apage=1

I am very proud of the fact that I have ZERO appearance-only mods.