Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Yet More Gear Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Captaincobalt

Default Yet More Gear Questions

I am considering going to 3:73 gears in my '07 GT with an automatic. I currently have the 3:31 gears. I went to a dealer today to inquire about it and he said that they could put them in but that it would require a retune, that they would have to recailbrate me speedometer and that it could vary well invalidate my warranty if I needed warranty work done on my car. He said that once they change out the gears that it is registered in the PCM on the car and cannot be removed. My questions are as follows;

- Does changing the gears really require a retune?

- Does changing the gears mean that you have to recailbrate the speedometer? I was always under the impression that tire size and not the gearing was the constraining factor on the readout of the speedometer

- Is the changing of the gears automatically recorded in the PCM? Or is it only recorded after a retune?

- What has been everyone's experience with regards to warranty work after you have changed the gearing?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default RE: Yet More Gear Questions

ORIGINAL: Captaincobalt

I am considering going to 3:73 gears in my '07 GT with an automatic. I currently have the 3:31 gears. I went to a dealer today to inquire about it and he said that they could put them in but that it would require a retune, that they would have to recailbrate me speedometer and that it could vary well invalidate my warranty if I needed warranty work done on my car. He said that once they change out the gears that it is registered in the PCM on the car and cannot be removed. My questions are as follows;

- Does changing the gears mean that you have to recailbrate the speedometer? I was always under the impression that tire size and not the gearing was the constraining factor on the readout of the speedometer

- Is the changing of the gears automatically recorded in the PCM? Or is it only recorded after a retune?

- What has been everyone's experience with regards to warranty work after you have changed the gearing?
-You don't have to have a tune, your speedo and tach will be off but you don't have to have one.
-tire size, and gearing will change the speedo, bigger tires will turn slower than small tires with the same force applied.
-You can untune your car right before you get it to the shop, but some people say the dealership can still see it.
-Warranty work varies from dealer to dealer, some are cool with it, some are not. But ford has to prove that the part caused the problem to not cover it under warranty.

Was the tech telling you it would scrap your whole warranty? If so, he is a lieng D-bag, the warranty is only scrubbed with the replaced part, not the whole thing.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Captaincobalt

Ktown,

The guy wasn't saying that it would scrap the whole warranty but he was indicating that if they could some how link the problem with the car to the gear change that the warranty would be void for that fix.

So the gearing really does have an impact on the speedometer readout? I am surprised....

I guess retuning it back to stock for warranty work won't help. Bummer.

Thanks for your help....
Old 12-27-2006, 10:13 PM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

I checked today at my local Dealership its a SVT one. They said they do the retunefor the speedo. And it does not void the warranty. As long as a Ford Dealer does it. Price sucks though about $937.00 to do it.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Ktown,

The guy wasn't saying that it would scrap the whole warranty but he was indicating that if they could some how link the problem with the car to the gear change that the warranty would be void for that fix.

So the gearing really does have an impact on the speedometer readout? I am surprised....

I guess retuning it back to stock for warranty work won't help. Bummer.

Thanks for your help....
Ok, I wasn't sure if the tech told ya that or not. It's happened before to me, one of the guys in the back who was getting me an extended warranty called his bluff
Some people say if you disconect the battery for a few mins and drive around, that resets the comp, but I'm not sure if that works.

Spook, if you like getting raped by your dealer I'd say go for it [&:]

Old 12-27-2006, 11:59 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

1.) you WILL regret not going 4.10s the extra 1 mpg is well worth it

2.) do you already have a tuner? if you do your all set, just reprogram the speedo, if not, talk to justin at vmptuning.com

3.) you need a bering kit as well with the gears
Old 12-28-2006, 12:12 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Not a retune but the ECM does have to be flashed to makethe speedo and other things function properly. Beleive it or not the ECM and the way the Auto tranny performs depnds on inputs from the rear end so it does in fact effect more than just the speedo.

Yes as said above

Only after the reprogramming

Every dealership is differant
Richard
Old 12-31-2006, 06:35 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

1.) you WILL regret not going 4.10s the extra 1 mpg is well worth it

2.) do you already have a tuner? if you do your all set, just reprogram the speedo, if not, talk to justin at vmptuning.com

3.) you need a bering kit as well with the gears
Do you really need a bearing kit? I was under the impression that bearings were only needed on higher mileage cars. I recently purchased the Ford 4:10s that come with a shim kit and I thought that's all I needed. My car only has about 600 miles on it.

Dave Kegel
Old 12-31-2006, 07:02 PM
chirostang
2nd Gear Member

I too am curious if I need a bering kit. My car has 3500 miles and I'm going to get 4.10s.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:32 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

the bearings are a wise idea regardless of mileage. They're not much more money and it's apart anyway, so why not?

my 4.10's cost me $562 installed with the speedo correction at the dealer. Ford has a flash tool specificly for tire/gear changes.

If you stick with FoMoCo parts and have them dealer installed you should really be okay. If they bark be DIPLOMATIC. if your a jackass they wont work with you. try to always go to the same dealer and deal with the same service writer. they're not gonna screw someone that brings them lots of business.