Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BORLA MUFFLERS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:33 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

Default BORLA MUFFLERS?

I am going to order the rear exhaust for my 07 stang in the next week. In a month or 2 I will order the long tubes and high flow cat set up with mid pipe.

MY QUESTION is Which Borla Mufflers<<<?????
I see some called Stingers. (kinda long skinny ones)

And I see some called Borla Axel back (Regular style mufflers)
Which is better for the Later install of the LT headers? and Remember I don't want screaming annoying just a nice Deep Mustang sound with Great performance flow.Kinda like the old 2 chamber Flowmasters used in the old 85 to 93 stangs.(no razzyness or unbearable droaning in the car.)
My wife actually thnks the stock exhaust sound is fine ,so I want to flow a little better for now, and sound better then stock. Just don't want popping and gurggling associasterd with a new car.

Any help is appreciated guys.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:55 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: BORLA MUFFLERS?

Either will be fine from a performance point of view. In fact, even the stock mufflers flow really well. There is no HP to be had from changing out mufflers.

The borla "stingers" (the cylindrical ones) are by far the more popular of the two Borlas. They are loud.

The oval-can Borlas are not much louder than stock.

Also, for these cars the term "axle back" and "mufflers" mean the same thing.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Get the stingers. That's what I have. They are awesome!
Old 12-28-2006, 06:27 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

As much as i love my Stingers since you say you want no drone then go with the Oval Borla's. If your willing to pout up with the drone at the 1800-2k RPM mark then get the Stingers. The drone really is not bad and you are not in that RPM range long enough for it to be a annoyance in my opinion.

Richard
Old 12-28-2006, 06:52 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Another option is to get the stingers and then a set of resonators to kill the drone if it really bothers you that much.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 AM
1ARIDE

Installed my FRPPstinger last weekend.....It was AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I got mine for Jegs.com for $420.00.....If you decide to go with FRPP you better act fast, because price just keep raising up.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:49 AM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

CrazyAl is incorrect The oval-can Borlas are not much louder than stock.
They are definetly louder then the stock mufflers and Have a Beautiful Deep Growl.

I get so many compliments on the sound and watching the heads turn when I give her a little gas and everyone who has been inside for a ride can't belive how great it sounds.

Goto borla's site there should be some sound clips and you can decide for yourself.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:37 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

If I remember reading correctly, the oval-can are slightly louder than stock and the stingers were louder, throatier exhaust. At least when I was looking to buy them that is the way they were advertised on the different retailers websites.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Buy the FRPP round muffler axle back. They are cheaper ($100-200) and made by Borla. They are loud and the only difference is the size of the tail pipe, 3.5 inches vs. 4 inches.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:10 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1

Buy the FRPP round muffler axle back. They are cheaper ($100-200) and made by Borla. They are loud and the only difference is the size of the tail pipe, 3.5 inches vs. 4 inches.
Pretty sure they are both the same size (4" I believe). The only difference is the logo. I wouldn't say they are "loud" except when you cold start at 5am in an extremely quiet neighborhood.

Quick Reply: BORLA MUFFLERS?