Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help with buying decision

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:12 AM
buhbye

Default Help with buying decision

Happy New Year To All!!
I am currently in the market for a 2005 - 2006 GT Vert and have found one locally that may fit the bill. I first wanted to get some opinions from some folks in the "Know". I would very much appreciate any help in what to look for and what to check to insure I am not getting stuck with a bad deal.
Car I found:
2005 GT Vert / Auto
13900 miles
$24980 asking price at dealer
Windveil Blue / Black / Black Leather
Premium Option Level
Shaker 1000
Flat Black Painted on stripes
17" Front / 18" rear wheel aftermarket upgrade
Tires: Pirelli Front / Michelin Rear 80 - 90% tread left
Carfax good
Dealer Maintanance record check good

I am looking for any comments good or bad concerning the deal on this car. Overall it is in perfect shape. A couple "Big" concerns though are the tire mismatch and also the Shaker 1000 system is missing the sub woofer assembly that goes in the trunk area. The car appears as though it was previously owned by a younger guy so my biggest concern is how hard it was beat on!!! Both the exterior and interior look perfect with no visible issues, my big concern is mechanically. Should I be very concerned with the tire mismatch or is that no big deal for a car like this? Also what do you guys think about the asking price? Is it fair or are there better deals to be had? Thanks Again folks and Happy New Years!

[IMG]local://upfiles/57424/900FE8B1685D4A91B933A86F6C5972D5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-31-2006, 11:57 AM
GS2006

Default RE: Help with buying decision

Don't Buy It !!!
Old 12-31-2006, 11:58 AM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

According to Kelley BB, the used retail is about $31k. For comparison, I paid 27k for a new '06 GT Premium auto coupe (ordered) in Oct '05. It seems a fair price.

The shaker 1000 isn't a shaker 1000 w/o the sub. Tell the "st(d)ealer to put it back in . The tire/wheel mismatch is unusual but can be easily fixed for a few $$$$$.It still has plenty of warranty left. It's low miles. Based on how i drive mine (fairly hard),the only real wear i would be concered with might be brakes,it's an auto, so you know he wasn' missing shifts. If carfax and maint records are good, I'd say it's probably a fine car at a decent price.

It the last day of the year, i'msure the dealer wants to sell it, beat him up on price!Good luck.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:51 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Keep looking!
Old 12-31-2006, 02:01 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

You can probably get a better deal elsewhere for that amount of $$ they are asking.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:14 PM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

You could probably find a stock car for that price...
CB
Old 12-31-2006, 02:33 PM
06blueovalblueGT
2nd Gear Member

great advise from your fellow brothern of the 'stang.
verts are a good find because most are garage kept in good shape.
dont let a snap decision sour a great experince,
keep lookin.......you will find her,or she'll fid you !!!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:42 PM
buhbye

I appreciate the comments guys, 5 out of 6 say keep looking! While I do have some time and don't want to rush into a buy I certainly don't want to pass up a good deal either. This car really looks great without any visual problems anywhere. I would be interested in hearing why you folks say "Keep Looking" is it price, tire mismatch, Shaker 1000 missing sub or combination of these factors. I am going to take a much closer look at this car and take it for a good test drive before I mark it off my list. The biggest problem I have is the mismatch tires. The car has close to 14000 miles and I would assume the stock original tires would give you a longer life than that, so why replace the rear tires (burnouts????). One thing I would like to see is the original window sticker, I am sure the wheels that are currently on it are 17"s on the front and 18"s on the rear. Did these cars come with larger rears or same as front? Anyways, thanks for your help and safe "Happy New Year"
P.S. If everything continues to check out with this car I am going to offer $23000 and see if the dealer bites!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:32 PM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

the original stock tires were most likely 235/55/17 Pirelli P-zero's all around. Those rimsare aftermarket deep dish bullits
Old 12-31-2006, 10:55 PM
michaelgggg

I would recommend that you search a few websites, Kelly Blue Book and NADA to get a sense of used car prices in your area via zip code search since prices vary regionally. I searched both sites for the metro Detroit area and here is what I found for the region.

Assuming car is in excellent condition:

Kelly Blue book - Dealer retail asking price $30,000. Private market sales $28,000. Trade-in values $26,000.

NADA - says avg. retail $28,000 and average trade in $24,000.

Conclusion: To me it seems like it isan okay dealif you get the stereo system taken care of and able to jawbone the price down a little. I would always assume that a prior owner of amustang GT woulddrive the car somewhat hard, it is hard not too!!!!!!! Problem is that everyone has a differnet definition of driving hard. If maintenance record looks good, go for it.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help with buying decision