MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   question about cams (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/224803-question-about-cams.html)

Hufenstang 12-31-2006 03:35 PM

question about cams

Im thinking about ordering the cam package from breenspeed for $1k, i was wondering about how long do cam installs take for a shop to do on average? just so i know im not totally getting screwed when i take it in.

gibsonjb 12-31-2006 08:22 PM

RE: question about cams

Unfortunately my cam install took a couple weeks since the speed shop I took it to did not have the the right spring compression tool. Even after they got the tool, they had a bitch of a time getting the springs installed. Still, labor was just over 1000$. But trust me, you'll be happy with the results. I'm getting 321 rwhp with my automatic tranny.

RodeoFlyer 12-31-2006 08:26 PM

what other supporting mods do you have with the cams? At 321 im sure you have others. What was the actual difference from the cams themselves?

CrazyAl 12-31-2006 11:21 PM

Cams are a 12-15 hour job.

Kaldar142 01-01-2007 12:21 AM

could you do the whole cam package yourself in your garage?

CrazyAl 01-01-2007 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

could you do the whole cam package yourself in your garage?
I'd say that depends. If you know what you're doing and you have the right tools, I don't see why not. There is no concrete reason why this can't be done in a garage. But this is some tricky work. I'd say that if you have to ask, you probably ought not to do it. Have you ever done cams before?

You will need a special valve spring compressor (anywhere from $150 - 300 from Ford), an air-hold adapter such as that from a compression tester (keep in mind the odd spark plug threads on this engine), shop air, etc. Your basic stuff like a torque wrench is of course required also.

lilspeedy16 01-01-2007 01:07 PM

Ford will change them for $1500

jacrockett 01-01-2007 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Hufenstang

Im thinking about ordering the cam package from breenspeed for $1k, i was wondering about how long do cam installs take for a shop to do on average? just so i know im not totally getting screwed when i take it in.
I had big cams on my last motor. They sounded nice, but in the end - IMHO - were more hassle than they were worth for a s/c setup. For a n/a motor, I can see the need for cams though.

CrazyAl 01-01-2007 03:23 PM

Yep, agressive cams are pretty much useless with a supercharger or turbo, and they could even compromise power. If you are going FI, stick with the stock cams.

vsop 01-01-2007 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Yep, agressive cams are pretty much useless with a supercharger or turbo, and they could even compromise power. If you are going FI, stick with the stock cams.
Yep.. Stock or a Custom Grind.. I would not bother with the stage 1 cam as it is so mild as is stage 2 from what I hear anyway. and stage 3 & 4 are no good for FI at all.