Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Blue smoke on cold start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Zellanor
2nd Gear Member

Default Blue smoke on cold start up

Happy Holidays to all,

I have an 05 with 18k. I have noticed recently that there is Blue smoke upon a cold start. It only lasts for 2 seconds. Is there any reason for concern? Any help would be great. On a side note, I only use Castrol Syntec 5w20. Thanks
Old 01-01-2007, 11:21 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Blue smoke on cold start up

Think we have addressed this issue before, so I bet there is a long list of suggestions and ideas on this one. recommend you use the search tool above. Set it to "within 1 yr" for a complete selection. If it makes you feel better, mines has 2,000 and I also have the 2 seconds puff. Goes away almost immediately. I does it when I let it sit for a couple of days. I know you said you have a daily driver, but don't think is something to worry about.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

Well, I was told that in the winter time you might have this and it is normal. the reason for it is the loop stays open dumping a little more fuel in on cold start-ups giving you this little puff of blue smoke. Mine does it but not all the time. The other reason I've heard of it is if you have it sit for a couple of days a little bit of oil gets in and I can't remember where but that might also cause this smoke. I'm sure a couple other might chime in.

Plus you can do a search for this and you should find a couple of threads on it.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:58 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zellanor

Happy Holidays to all,

I have an 05 with 18k. I have noticed recently that there is Blue smoke upon a cold start. It only lasts for 2 seconds. Is there any reason for concern? Any help would be great. On a side note, I only use Castrol Syntec 5w20. Thanks
With 18k miles it may be time to consider an air/oil separator. Here's a good thread on this subject and the tendancies of the S197. Read the post by ThisBlood147 - he gives a good explanation, cause and solution to the issue.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2119394/tm.htm

I installed a DIY kit I bought from Home Depot for about $20 and have not had issues with smoke on start-up since. Even when my 06 GT was just off the dealer lot it used to puff blue smoke for a couple of seconds whenever I did a cold start. I have a Saleen SC and no problems with smoke.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:31 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Mine also puffsa littleoily smoke(16K miles),but it happens onlyifthe engine had run for less than a minuteon the previous cold start up. If the engine runs for at least a few minutes on the previous cold start up, then there is no oily smoke on the subsequent cold start.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

back in high school I was told by my auto mechanics teacher that blue smoke only at startup could be a sign of bad gaskets on the valve stems (something like that).

they're little ring-like gaskets that go around the stem. if they're not good, oil leaks down onto the top of the valve and sits there. when you start the car, the oil gets drawn into the cylinder and burns up, creating the puff of blue smoke
Old 01-02-2007, 08:37 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Ugh...my car does this too, an 06 getting ready to turn 18k. Mine is a daily driver, and i seem to see it on probably 80% of the startups, cold or not. I drive only 3 miles to work, but I try to let the engine warm up for a couple minutes before taking off, and am easy on it during the small commute. In all cases my temp guage makes it to normal operating temp for at least a few minutes before shutting it down, and yet when I get out of work and start it up, I still get the puff of smoke for 2 seconds, as described. Guess I'll head over to that other thread and see whats up.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

It's totally normal, you have nothing to worry about and it is likely coming from the PCV system if anything. Putting an oil seperator inline with the vacuum end of the PCV may help, but keep in mind the PCV on the 4.6 3v is a metered vacuum leak. The device must be completely contained and if it ever leaks air, it may set lean codes. All engines burn oil and Ford says it is normal for your vehicle to use up to 1quart of oil per 1500 miles.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:31 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Your shop teacher was correct: Blue smoke = oil. Black smoke= rich fuel. White smoke=coolant. White smoke not good.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:23 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

im no mec; but ive always been told blue smoke has something to do w/ a blown gasket. and my GT has NEVER had blue smoke come out w/ a cold start.

You still have warr; nothing wrong w/ having ford checking it out.

Quick Reply: Blue smoke on cold start up