Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Charge motion plates (no tune??)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
raybroussard
1st Gear Member

Default Charge motion plates (no tune??)

Ok guys I just got off the phone with diablosport and they are telling me that I do not need a tune whenever I install the charge motion plates. They said just to leave the motor on the car that opens and closes the valves and it will trick the computer into thinking the plates are still there. Before I install these I need to get input from other users here. The guy's name I spoke with was Gary and I asked him twice just to be sure. He said NO TUNE was needed if you leave the motor in place. What do you all think about this?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Charge motion plates (no tune??)

I haven't tried this trick, but it sounds like it might work.

The question I have is would that have the same HP effect as if you had the tune though? In other words, is the CMCP tune just turning off the CMCP system, or is it a combination of that and added fueling or other changes?

As a note, the Ford website listing for the plates and the magazine reviews all state that a tune is required.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:10 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

check with Brent at Brenspeed. he knows his ****. he'll be able to tell you.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:21 PM
raybroussard
1st Gear Member

[hr]

I was in a bit of shock when GARY at diablosport told me this because based on all the research I have done a tune is needed with the plates. I was calling diablosport to get the tune for my predator to do this but they said NO TUNE. So now I am baffled! I want to install the plates so now what!!! Gary also stated that he spoke to the head ford tuner at diablosport and that guy said they did not see a difference with the tune vs. without the tune... I am stumped now...[/align]
Old 01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I'm going to elaborate a bit on my earlier post.

The way I see it there are two potential issues here:

First off, there is the communication between the CMCP servo and the computer. And second, there is any potential changes to the tune itself (by that I mean fuel or timing or both).

Of course, if there is supposed to be communication between the CMCP servo and the computer,and you removethe servo(as is typically done with this mod), then the computer will throw a fit. Instant thrown code. So from this point of view, I can see how leaving the motor there would "trick" the computer and there wouldn't be any thrown codes.

But my concern is regarding the tuning. Does a CMCP tune also alter fueling and such? If so, then if you go the tune-less route you will be missing out on some HP because you aren't adapting the fueling to suit.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:32 PM
modular81
2nd Gear Member

I've heard your tune must altered for cmdp so the computer doesn't try to activate the sirvo motor that opens and closes the stock plates. Failsafe will occur if you are running a stock tuneor a aftermarket tune that doesn't disable this feature in the tune. This means the sirvo motor can still be plugged in but will not activate at a given rpm because the tune has disabled that feature in the computer.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:02 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Tell who ever told you no tune was required, to Lick my *****.. and DO NOT ever order a thing from them or let them near your car.

Yes you can leave the motor connected and the car will still think the CMCV plates are still installed, but it will not be calibrated for the change in flow and that will lead to bad things. And if you have a tuner why the hell would you not just turn of the CMCV plates and remove all the extra crap from the car...?

Needless to say if I was told by DiabloSport that I would inform them they need to close up shop and find another industry to be in. As they have no buisness tuning cars
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 PM
raybroussard
1st Gear Member

Yea, it sucks because of course I have the C&L intake and tuner package but I have yet to find a way to get a tune into it so that I can install these higher flowing plates. It can not be that difficult to get a tune right? I wanna stick with the predator because I have already used it to setup all of my other options, gears, tire size change etc......

Old 01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Talk with some of the SV's here that Tuner with Diablo. They should be able to help you out
Old 01-10-2007, 11:43 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raybroussard

Ok guys I just got off the phone with diablosport and they are telling me that I do not need a tune whenever I install the charge motion plates. They said just to leave the motor on the car that opens and closes the valves and it will trick the computer into thinking the plates are still there. Before I install these I need to get input from other users here. The guy's name I spoke with was Gary and I asked him twice just to be sure. He said NO TUNE was needed if you leave the motor in place. What do you all think about this?

This topic has been covered extensively on other forums. YOU WILL NEED A TUNE. Even with a tune some have reported a loss of power at lower RPM's. They JDM Engineering for tune advice.

w w w. t e a m j d m . c o m