Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

i need to install an exhaust system into my 2005 mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:55 PM
actor

Default i need to install an exhaust system into my 2005 mustang gt

i need to install an exhaust system into my 2005 mustang gt, but i want a loud beautiful sound, what do u advise me to go for?
i need catback, hedders, and x or y pipe. (and if you can explain to me what is the difference between the x pipe ant the y pipe. it will be better thank you
Old 01-09-2007, 01:02 PM
GiMiX
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: i need to install an exhaust system into my 2005 mustang gt

honestly IMHO i dont think theres anything that sounds perfect and best performance then a full Bassani system. they are pricey but worth it.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GiMiX

honestly IMHO i dont think theres anything that sounds perfect and best performance then a full Bassani system. they are pricey but worth it.
Uhm, yeah. Tell Bassani to fix their header flange warpage issues and improve their welds and then maybe they'll have a "perfect" system. Oh, and they also need tostop usingcarbon steel and start using 304 or 320 Stainless. There are many companies that make better headers than Bassani: Dynatech, Kooks, American Racing are far better. JBA has better workmanship too, and even though I don't like their cheap 409 stainless, it's still better than what Bassani uses.

First off, you don't need a catback. A catback is a waste of money on this car. Catback is simply mufflers (axle-back) plus the overaxle tubes. The issue is the factory overaxle tubes are great, so there's no reason to replace them. Popular axle-back setups are the Borla Stingers, SLP Loudmouths, etc.

There is no Y-pipe on a GT, and you can't get on either. Y-pipes are used on cars with only one tailpipe. GT has two. There are both X-pipes and H-pipes. The OEM setup has an H pipe. X-pipes have a slight flow advantage (less than 5 HP), but some people think the H sounds better.

As for the headers, there are two kinds. Shorty and longtubes. Don't waste your money on the shortys. All that $$$ and they're only worth 3-5 HP. Longtubes will get you 15-25. I mentioned the best brands above. If you want more info just do a forum search for headers.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:51 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

I have SLP LM's and an offroad H-pipe if you like the way a nascar sounds then you will like this setup. Soon to come JBA shorty headers and HP single turbo kit!!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 PM
StangPilot
1st Gear Member

I am happy with my Borla cat-backs. Deep but loud and beautiful!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

CrazyAl is right on the mark but he forgot Borla or Borla stinger both sound Wonderfull and axel back is enough to get you a great sound and save some cash for something else like headers, to add something to the header answer he gave the reason the shorty headers are not worth the cash is because they are the same as the stock ones ford did a good job already so inless you just want a crome set of headers without any real gain go long tube there worth the extra $ will get you some HP and will add to your sound.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Driver_Kiddo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangPilot

I am happy with my Borla cat-backs. Deep but loud and beautiful!
+1

Definatly my favorite. Sound is just perfect imo.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
dewittalday

The Dynatech LT's w/ cats and Corsa mufflers sound stock at idle and when cruising up to 2500 rpm. The "stock" sound is my personal preference. However, the car definitely doesn't sound stock when I step on the gas pedal. You can find a sound clip on the Corsa website - http://www.corsaperf.com/mustang.htm.

There is no drone either when cruising 2200-2500 rpm, but some people like the drone even though they don't know what it is. Usually that is the typical sound you hear from most Mustangs as they are at a cruising speed. Corsa's are the most expensive axle-backs you can probably buy for the 2005+ Mustang, but they are definitely high quality. Only thing I don't like about the Corsa's is that the bottom of the muffler canister shows a little bit because it is round (straight-through design), as opposed to being more flat and chambered (like the stock mufflers).

If you want something loud, get the SLP setup and go without cats.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

While I do agree that Shorty Headers will only gain you around 5HP Peak at the rear wheels.I do not agree that they are a waste of money. What you will gain by going with the Shorties is around 15-20 Ft. Lbs. Of Torque @ the rear wheels, and we all know TQ is what gets you going and HP is what keeps you going so there is a big upside to Shorty headers.

Richard
Old 01-10-2007, 01:26 AM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

While I do agree that Shorty Headers will only gain you around 5HP Peak at the rear wheels.I do not agree that they are a waste of money. What you will gain by going with the Shorties is around 15-20 Ft. Lbs. Of Torque @ the rear wheels, and we all know TQ is what gets you going and HP is what keeps you going so there is a big upside to Shorty headers.

Richard
That is the first I have heard about shorty headers adding that much torque,can anyone else confirm this?

Everyoneelse I have ever heard has said they are a waste of money, but 15-20 ft lbs sounds pretty good if it means I can stay emissions legal and keep my current midpipe.

Quick Reply: i need to install an exhaust system into my 2005 mustang gt