Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question about TUNERS & CAI's

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Default Question about TUNERS & CAI's

Forgive my ignorance, but could someone please explain to this Newbie why Ford just didn't offer the Mustang (especially the GT) already equipped with a "tune" to fix the throttle delay AND a CAI..?!
It just seems so weird to me that about 80% of you guys had to buy these 2 items aftermarket, and almost EVERYONE says things like:
"it's a totally different car now- faster, instant response- even better mileage (in some cases)".
Seeing as how these 2 mods ONLY cost around $500, why the HECK didn't Ford just issue the Stang WITH them already installed...?!!
It doesn't make any sense to me- unless there are some "downsides" to installing these mods that I don't know about.
As far as that goes- why should they void your warranty???
I'd REALLY like to know the answer, because naturally I also want to make my GT quicker and eliminate throttle lag- and I think that an average 25 H.P. boost for $500 sounds quite reasonable.
One curious (though technically-challenged) Newbie..................
Old 01-10-2007, 06:14 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about TUNERS & CAI's

One reason would be to cut costs. Plus, I'm sure Ford knows that their Mustang customers like to customize their own cars (JMO). So if they did come withCAI's and what not...we would change them anyway...lol.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:50 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Well, I understand what you mean about many Stangers wanting to personally customize their rides- but there are TONS of other options for doing that (scoops, spoilers, wheels, tint, louvers, etc., etc.).
As for Ford "keeping costs down"- I imagine if THEY made a factory-installed CAI and tune standard on ALL their GT's, that they could do this for WAY, way less then the $500 aftermarket price, and the GT's would be faster AND have little or no "throttle-lag"- which seems to be the single biggest complaint that everybody has about the S-197....!
JMO, but it doesn't make sense to me UNLESS there happen to be some downsides to those mods...................
Old 01-10-2007, 07:01 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Ford could have shipped the car with a different intake and a tune for FREE, since they would just be using slightly different (but not more expensive) parts.

The realreason is emissions, mileage concerns, CAFE (corporate average fuel economy), and various Federal standards.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

I'd say it is because the Mustang is made to be a daily driver with more zip than a Taurus. Quicker throttle response on V8's may frighten a good portion of the market that would prefer a more toned down car that still has a lot of power when you get on it. Ford probably just wanted to appeal tocrowds in addition toprice concious speed demons.

Not to mention, they'd probably screw it up or make something substandard to the aftermarket sector (ahem...Rousch SC?).
Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 PM
RUFDRAFT
3rd Gear Member

We'll probably never know the answer.

Let's just be thankful for the aftermarket parts!

Ruf -

[IMG]local://upfiles/54696/7C6B331EA5044A6FAE6352264E1D4569.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-10-2007, 08:15 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

CrazyAl (or may I call you "Crazy" for short?):
never considered emissions- but as for fuel economy, I've seen a number of MF members stating that they actually get BETTER mileage after having had a tune........
color me "confused"...........
Old 01-10-2007, 08:22 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

FuriousGeorge:

You think "quicker throttle response may frighten a good portion of the market"?!
Well, Ford would obviously not agree with me when I say that such drivers should be banned from buying a Mustang (even a V-6 let alone a GT)-
People like that should be "culled from the herd"...........[sm=smiley2.gif]
Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I've heard the same thing about memebers claiming their economy improved, but that is far from a scientific test. Most people estimate their mileage or rely on the car's dash display--neither of which are particularly accurate. Also keep in mind that EPA fuel economy numbers are determined by a specific test. It may be that in some situations mileagedoesn't change muchbut in other situations it does. It is also possible that the car is driven slightly differently before and after the CAI. The only way to know for certian is to get a robot to drive the car the exact same way before and after the mods under identical conditions, and then compare the results.

I belive that the CAI-Tune will slightly lower your fuel economy, assuming identical driving habits (relevant for the EPA numbers). Why? Becasue the extra power from themod has to come from somewhere. And that "somewhere" is that you are enabling the engine to burn slightly more fuel. Remember that energy is never created or destroyed. If you are getting an extra 25 HP, that energy has to have a source. In this case, it's gasoline. The "tune" you get with your CAI is simply the car's computer telling the fuel injectors to squirt in a tiny bit more fuel.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:33 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

CrazyAl: thanks for tht lucid explanation in laymans' terms- I think I actually understand it now.
I'd assumed that those mods made the engine more "efficient" in some way, but I guess that's just wishful thinking on my part..............

Quick Reply: Question about TUNERS & CAI's