Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CHEAP BLOWER!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:41 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: CHEAP BLOWER!!!!

they are very much an entry level blower. the belt and bearings eventually will need changing, but they arent that expensive and it's not that hard to do. If your looking for big power they're not the one for you. If you want something fairly inexpensive and want a significant but not huge horsepower increase they are great. My personal feeling is that most of the blowers out there put the numbers way too close to the edge for our short block. like i've already said, it's also very easily removed. i could remove it right now and drop my car off at the dealer by 5. you can't do that with a roots blower.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like there are some good points being made by both sides of the fence.....I gotta think this over.........
Old 01-12-2007, 07:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

How many miles were on your pickup?

You see what i'm getting at right? You really can't blame the blower because you weren't impressed by the power gains. Hell for all we know it was producing exactly what it advertised, but your butt dyno wasn't impressed.

After looking at it I think i'll just spend a few thousand more and get the saleen. It does look cheap in those pictures.

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

No I didn't have it dynoed and I didn't install it myself. A friend of mine who worked for a turbo shop down the street did it at his house. He knew what he was doing. It was a pretty straight forward setup though...not a lot to mess up.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norse1974

Well,,,Do we know anyone here on the site who has this set up?Or will Rodeoflyer be the first?
I have a powerdyne system going in late next week. I paid even less then that for mine tho. I will post some info once I install it.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Powerdyne makes a decent Entry Level Supercharger however they will require belt replacements and bearings changes pretty often. I know many guys that had tried them on there F-150's due to the low cost and have spent more on belt and bearing changes putting them at what a Procharger or Vortech would have cost to begin with. Just be advised they are inexpensive for a reason. The Powerdyne also have no room for growth meaning you get what it is and cannot increase boost. Also 7-8 PSI on non inter cooled boost is very dangerous the intake charge is still going to get very hot. Most of the Powerdyne only run
6 PSI because of this

Richard
Actually you can upgrade the pully (called powerdyne to ask about it) and since they require no engine oil puping threw then it wont get any warmer then a vorteq or a procharger, and you can easily install an intercooler for one. I have a procharger intercooler from a friend who blew his procharger up and now is gong turbo and i will eventually (once I fabricate the pipeing) intercool mine.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:27 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

Powerdyne makes a decent Entry Level Supercharger however they will require belt replacements and bearings changes pretty often. I know many guys that had tried them on there F-150's due to the low cost and have spent more on belt and bearing changes putting them at what a Procharger or Vortech would have cost to begin with. Just be advised they are inexpensive for a reason. The Powerdyne also have no room for growth meaning you get what it is and cannot increase boost. Also 7-8 PSI on non inter cooled boost is very dangerous the intake charge is still going to get very hot. Most of the Powerdyne only run
6 PSI because of this

Richard
Actually you can upgrade the pully (called powerdyne to ask about it) and since they require no engine oil puping threw then it wont get any warmer then a vorteq or a procharger, and you can easily install an intercooler for one. I have a procharger intercooler from a friend who blew his procharger up and now is gong turbo and i will eventually (once I fabricate the pipeing) intercool mine.
You cannot upgrade without a intercooler with the Powerdyne. Like i said it is a very Entry Level Supercharger Kit. Everyone i know that has installed one has only had it for like 6 month and then sold it and purchased either a Procharger or KB.And the bearings and belt will need to be replaced even sooner. I know there is a guy on Ebay that sells and upgraded Kevlar Belt and some upgraded bearings but even those only last so long. Also the Procharger does NOT use engine oil it has it's own self contained oiling system. And there base kit is 9 PSI upgradeable to 12 PSI Double what the Powerdyne is.

Richard
Old 01-13-2007, 01:50 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

The Powerdyne Kit is good for someone looking to increase thier Butt Dyno. It adds about 100 hp, easily installed, and in cheap (complete kit with tune is $2900 shipped). This is good for someone not looking to hard core race, but to keep their engine at a safe level and keep the car at a daily driver status, wouldn't you agree?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

6 PSI because of this

Richard
You cannot upgrade without a intercooler with the Powerdyne. Like i said it is a very Entry Level Supercharger Kit. Everyone i know that has installed one has only had it for like 6 month and then sold it and purchased either a Procharger or KB.And the bearings and belt will need to be replaced even sooner. I know there is a guy on Ebay that sells and upgraded Kevlar Belt and some upgraded bearings but even those only last so long. Also the Procharger does NOT use engine oil it has it's own self contained oiling system. And there base kit is 9 PSI upgradeable to 12 PSI Double what the Powerdyne is.

Richard
Yes you can upgrade it without a intercooler, call powerdyne and see for yourselfand yes i know procharger ha sits own oil I meant it has no internal lubricants to get hot or use any to stay hot like others, . Yes this is an intro lvl blower but a safe intro one at that and I do plan on using an itercooler since I have a doner one for free. Just for kicks I decided to take a digital temp gauge and temp install it on my friends 03 gt that is procharged, first we put the temp sensor in the intake pipe to get a reading on outside air temp and went for a smal drive. outside air temp was 61 degrees. Then we put it in thebefore the intercooler and drove around at normal speeds then freeway to open her up. air temp got as high as 117, we then put the sensor after the intercooler and did the same and I was disapointed as was he with how little the coler cools the air we saw a high temp of 96. we called a friend who works for blue oval erformance and he said thats about normal for an air cooler. So now i am thinking i may not even want to bother with an intercoler untill I decide to really push some power. As far as how long the blower will last who knows I hear some bad from here and on other including non ford forums (best friend is a chevy freak) I hear good things and some driving over 50k with no issues. I also have spoken to some performance shops like Delk, THR, Blue oval performance, local speed shop here.. And have heard good and bad about alot of power adders, have heard of 3 Kenne bells blowing up, 2 Prochargers(to include my friends) 1 turbo system, 3 Vorteq,s, 1 Saleen, 1 Rousch, and 1 Powerdyne (was on an old Camaro so more then likely it was chevys fault). and almost every story I am told seems to be owner error not equiptment. But as i said was my deciding reason on going this route was low low cost, 1/3rd the cost of a KB and Saleen and being military i am not rich to begin with.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:28 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

There is a difference between adding a smaller pulley and adding a smaller pulley SAFELY. As for your digital Temp gauge test that is no where near accurate enough to even use as data. A digital gauge can not accurately measure air temp flow. I would suspect that your temp readings were more related to underhood heat soak temps than actual air flow intake charge temps. I have already said the Powerdyne is a nice Entry Level kit. My thoughts are if your going to spend 2900.00 for it why not spendabout 1000.00more and get a Procharger. That is what i did for my F-150 When making a purchase of this nature do your research it pays. So far it seems as though you are but consider the long haul not just the short term cost.

Richard
Old 01-13-2007, 04:55 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

I can't believe I'm the first to chime in and say this, but powerdynes are complete garbage.

Seriously, post this in the 4.6 section and see what kind of response you get.

Quick Reply: CHEAP BLOWER!!!!