Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spec clutchs.. how do u like them ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Default RE: Spec clutchs.. how do u like them ?

The option you are asking about is the amount of splines on the input shaft. .The input shaft is what the clutch disc slides onto. With the 03-04 Cobra's they tend to break the stock 10 spline shaft on the t-56 at a certain HP level. There is an upgrade that can be done which is adding a 26 spline input shaft which is stronger than the 10 spline shaft. The 26 spline shaft comes in the Corvette and Viper Spec T-56 and thats what sets it apart other than some small things from the one used int eh Cobra. I know there us a company that makes the 26 spline shaft for the 3650 but I don't see anyone running them yet. If you're running 550rwhp and below the stock 10 spline unit will be fine. I'll look into finding out about offering the 3650 upgrade. As far as the Aluminum Pressure Plate option I just had not put it up on the site. In fact I don't recall anyone ever purchasing the aluminum upgrade from us however if they asked I'd be glad to sell it to them.

Hope that helps. Jared

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

Jared, What does this mean in your site ? and how come there is no option for the aluminum pressure plate ? or does it come along ?

here is what I mean.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

The link doesn't work. Is it similar to bleeding other slave cylinders in other fords transmissions? Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gloryboy

Just wondering why you want to change the clutch if you're staying na...if its just for the weight, you can just change the flywheel.....but the Specs seem to be the popular choice. Some people had probs with the centerforce clutches not disengaging but i think that has been remedied. Spec stage 3 is what a lot of the s/c guys are running w/ great results. You may want to consider that route so when the s/c bug sets in your dont have to upgrade again....[sm=gears.gif]
Glory, I made the suggestion to Saud regarding the clutch. We were discussing different ways of improving HP at the wheels. Everyone knows that a lightweight driveshaft and a lightweight flywheel can be used to reduce driveline inertia and therefore send more power to the pavement. However, a little-knownsecret to maximizingthis modis that Spec makes an aluminum pressure plate option for their clutches. This enables you to lighten the clutch itself in addition to the flywheel. Of course, this is an optional upgrade, but it is a good one.

In my opinion if you are going to pull the transmission in order to install a lightweight flywheel, you might as well install the lightweight clutch assembly too. In this situation the labor is going to be your biggest cost (or effort). It makes a lot of sense to me to drop in the extra $ for the lightweight pressure plate as long as you're already doing all the rest of the work. You end up saving about 50% more weight compared to just the flywheel, for a very reasonable cost increase.

Other companies like Fidanza make lightweight flywheels too. But in my opinion your best option is to get the whole lightweight package from Spec. Nobody else makes the lightweight pressure plate, and to get it you have to go the Spec route.

In order to make boostaddict's link work, find the **** in the URL and replace it with "mo d u l a r f o r d s . c o m": No spaces of course. That word is filtered out on this forum.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

The link doesn't work. Is it similar to bleeding other slave cylinders in other fords transmissions? Thanks again.
Sorry about the link. I forgot that some links are filtered here. I'll try to find the proper link however like you mentioned it's the same as bleeding any other slave cylinder. Thanks, Jared
Old 01-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

In regards to the lightweight pressure plate option, out of all the Spec Kits I have personally ever sold I can't remember one of them that someone ordered it with the lightweight option. Not saying that it doesn't have it's benefits but just giving my personal experience. I think Matt or Derek may have only sold 1 or 2 of them out of the 100+ kits we've sold since we started stocking the Spec line.

My experience is mostly with the 03-04 Cobra market since there's not a huge amount of S197 owners going through their clutches as fast as the Terminator guys are. Most people either just decide whether to go Steel or Aluminum with the Flywheel. Most decide on Steel for track purposes as they tend to hit harder on the launch due to the extra inertia from the added weight. There are quite a few with the Steel that love them on the street as well but we mostly sell the Aluminum version which people seem to be very happy with.

So with that being said I don't know 100% whether the lightweight option will help performance as much as people would think but I would like to get more real world testing on some S197's to see if there is a difference. Good topic though Al..Thanks for bringing this up. I'd like to get Specs input on this as well. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say.

This is what I love about the forums.. No BS, just good ole technical discussions.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: gloryboy

Just wondering why you want to change the clutch if you're staying na...if its just for the weight, you can just change the flywheel.....but the Specs seem to be the popular choice. Some people had probs with the centerforce clutches not disengaging but i think that has been remedied. Spec stage 3 is what a lot of the s/c guys are running w/ great results. You may want to consider that route so when the s/c bug sets in your dont have to upgrade again....[sm=gears.gif]
Glory, I made the suggestion to Saud regarding the clutch. We were discussing different ways of improving HP at the wheels. Everyone knows that a lightweight driveshaft and a lightweight flywheel can be used to reduce driveline inertia and therefore send more power to the pavement. However, a little-knownsecret to maximizingthis modis that Spec makes an aluminum pressure plate option for their clutches. This enables you to lighten the clutch itself in addition to the flywheel. Of course, this is an optional upgrade, but it is a good one.

In my opinion if you are going to pull the transmission in order to install a lightweight flywheel, you might as well install the lightweight clutch assembly too. In this situation the labor is going to be your biggest cost (or effort). It makes a lot of sense to me to drop in the extra $ for the lightweight pressure plate as long as you're already doing all the rest of the work. You end up saving about 50% more weight compared to just the flywheel, for a very reasonable cost increase.

Other companies like Fidanza make lightweight flywheels too. But in my opinion your best option is to get the whole lightweight package from Spec. Nobody else makes the lightweight pressure plate, and to get it you have to go the Spec route.

In order to make boostaddict's link work, find the **** in the URL and replace it with "mo d u l a r f o r d s . c o m": No spaces of course. That word is filtered out on this forum.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:32 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Hey Boostaddict,

I think one of the main reasons why the lightweight pressure plate is rarelysold is becasue it isn't advertised very well. Your web site, for example, doesn't even offer it for sale. Very few people are going to buy it from you if they don't know what it is or that you have it available. Spec lists the option on their web site, but to be honest it is a poor site designand it is difficult to find.

I think if you were to advertise this option, people will buy it!

People buy lightweight flywheels and lightweight driveshafts regularly. The lightweight pressure plate works the exact same way and delivers the same benefits.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Man on Man.. Al!! LOL

You just gave me a couple hours of work to do and I was just getting ready to relax!

I'll start adding the option tonight and we'll see how it works. Thanks, Jared
ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Hey Boostaddict,

I think one of the main reasons why the lightweight pressure plate is rarely offered is becasue it isn't advertised very well. Your web site, for example, doesn't even offer it for sale. Very few people are going to buy it from you if they don't know that you have it available. Spec lists the option on their web site, but to be honest it is a poor site designand it is difficult to find.

I think if you were to advertise this option, people will buy it!

People buy lightweight flywheels and lightweight driveshafts regularly. The lightweight pressure plate works the exact same way and delivers the same benefits.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:56 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Great! I think if you list theoption and you explain what it does, then people will buy it!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:13 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

I will agree about not knowing the option exists - I did not even find out Spec had a lightweight pressure plate option until months after I replaced the clutch.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:10 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

im runnig th sec stage 3 wih aluminum flywheel, and in first gear i hate the sob. after that i love the thing