Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dyno tune or not?

Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 AM
baginoman
2nd Gear Member

Default Dyno tune or not?

WellI was recently looking towards getting my car dyno tuned, sinceI hear its a great thing to do for the car, and off course good hp numbers to free up. ButI was alsoleaning towards the thought ofgettingheaders and pullies first, then dyno tune....or dyno tune, then headers and pullies? I was pushing more along the side of getting the headers and pullies first. What do you guys think?

Any of you So cal stangers in the LA county area know of any good tuners? I was leanin toward RET dyno in downey, but If anyone has got any suggestions, please feel free to tell me.

thankyou!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:13 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dyno tune or not?

Wild Pony Motorsports in Santa Clarita does dyno tuning or Earl's Automotive in San Fernando. The pullies are strictly a parasitic hp increase so a tune isn't required, however you could use the tuner to bump your idle up a little for charging purposes. The headers wouldn't necessarily require a tun, but it would take the most advantage of them. in Ca I strongly advise you to stay with shorties or none at all. As hard as it is to install them, you don't want the nightmare of having to remove them when you get nailed. I want them badly myself but i've been nailed for my o/r h-pipe in the past. It's a pain
Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 PM
baginoman
2nd Gear Member

how much hp am i looking at with shorties?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:15 PM
MIKE562
2nd Gear Member

Hey I live in Downey! Where exactly is RET dyno at? i want to check that place out
Old 01-18-2007, 01:47 AM
baginoman
2nd Gear Member

not exactly sure with the adress, but you can google it. They have a site, good luck
Old 01-18-2007, 01:50 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Maybe 20hp on the shorties and the dyno tune could be done before and after to see the gains
Old 01-18-2007, 01:54 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

You will see a much bigger gain if you get a dyno tune after the headers, before you do the dyno tune make sure you get some CMCV's for some good gains for less than $100 the CMCV's require a custom tune. Then I would do the pullies last since they don't require any type of tune nor will it effect them.

-Jeff
Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 AM
baginoman
2nd Gear Member

very good point guys, but what are CMCV's?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:11 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

they are what you don't need. they are Charge Motion Control Valve delete plates. They replace your factory valve/plate assembly. They sit between the intake maifold and cylider heads. The delete plates are a straight thru plate, eliminating the valves. On a motor with considerable mods (heads/cams/blower/etc) they are worth it, but for a stock motor the gains would be minimal. If you're going to void your powertrain warranty and violate emissions laws at least make the reward worth the risk - which they arent.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:18 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I belive they are plenty worthwhile on a lightly modded motor. They're worth 10+ HP with no documented negative effects. All the dyno charts I have seen show nothing but HP gain, though most of it is at the top end, above 4000 RPM. Still, for less than $100 plus a tune, this is a great mod. It's cheap and easy to install.

Here is an article about it: http://mustang50magazine.com/techart...mrc_delete_kit

Note that this is an older article, and now the delete kit is available much cheaper as FRPP is making them. Piedmont Modular Performance sells them for $90 shipped to your door.

Note the dyno chart shows nothing but gains and this test car had very few mods on it.

Riven just installed them on his car and was quite pleased. Read about it here: https://mustangforums.com/m_2568930/tm.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno tune or not?