Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How do I get additional tunes for SCT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Dienadel

Default How do I get additional tunes for SCT?

I have noticed that people post that they have custum tunes from different shops.

Is it possible to getthe Bren Tune even though I bought my SCT X-Cal II tuner at a shop here in Calgary?

Do you buy the tune from a shop, have it e-mailed to you and then upload to your tuner and then have it ready for use?

I am doing a mod soon that will required a new tune, I was planning to go to the shop that sold me the X-Cal II and having them dyno and tune.

When I bought the tuner the guy just loaded some tunes he had already done for the mods I had and there was dyno needed.

Just looking for a way to try different tunes...
Old 01-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How do I get additional tunes for SCT?

Exactly, you work with the shop and they will email you a tune, you will need the special cable to program your tuner from the pc, I believe it uses a com port, but check with them to make sure.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

X-Cal 2 connects to any PC with aUSB device cable. I used the one from my printer. Then you can load the tunes with the LiveLoad software from SCT.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

My bad, I was thinking of the older sct...lol
Old 01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Dienadel

5 secs to download emailed tune.
2 min to download SCT software
5 min to rename & load tune into new program on your computer and then download to your tuner

Tunes will cost a little more when you purchase from someone you did not buy tunner from, that is the incentive to get tuner & tune from same shop.

Very easy to do.

Good luck

Old 01-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Dienadel

Thanks,

So I guess I could contact Bren and buy a tune from them?

Just let em know my setup and go from there.

I have the USB cable and software and know how to use it, I guess my real question was could I but tunes from other shops.

I will contact Bren...
Old 01-18-2007, 11:53 AM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

You can get a tune from whoever you want, but you will likely get a better deal...or possibly free...if you get your new tunes from someone you've done business with. Good luck!

Keep in mind, these guys are making 100% profit on any tunes they sell, so they should be willing to negotiate...if they don't, they're probably crazy.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:00 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: swensicle

You can get a tune from whoever you want, but you will likely get a better deal...or possibly free...if you get your new tunes from someone you've done business with. Good luck!

Keep in mind, these guys are making 100% profit on any tunes they sell, so they should be willing to negotiate...if they don't, they're probably crazy.
Soooo not true... Each show still has to pay for someones time.. Lets say they take 30-40 minutes to process the order setup the file for your car and send it to you thru email. So right there is almost an hour of thier time. You are also paying for the tuners experiance. Yes you can get a 100% cookie cutter tune in the mail, but when you want one that is tweaked for your specific mods they normally don't just have a tune in a folder that they send you. At the very least things like gearing might be adjusted.

Spending $50-$80 on a tune from a shop that you have not purchased the tuner from or done buisness with, is what I expect. Shops have to pay bills just like the rest of us, so don't think they can afford to give things away free. You would e amazed what it cost to actually have acommercial space.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:56 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vsop

ORIGINAL: swensicle

Soooo not true... Each show still has to pay for someones time.. Lets say they take 30-40 minutes to process the order setup the file for your car and send it to you thru email. So right there is almost an hour of thier time. You are also paying for the tuners experiance. Yes you can get a 100% cookie cutter tune in the mail, but when you want one that is tweaked for your specific mods they normally don't just have a tune in a folder that they send you. At the very least things like gearing might be adjusted.

Spending $50-$80 on a tune from a shop that you have not purchased the tuner from or done buisness with, is what I expect. Shops have to pay bills just like the rest of us, so don't think they can afford to give things away free. You would e amazed what it cost to actually have acommercial space.
+1, but Brents tunes are a wee bit priceyif you buy parts somewhere else,even if you bought your tuner from him. Take CMCP delete plates for example: Brent has no Ford Racing parts so he only offers the Steedas (which are overpriced as hell). So if you decide to buy the Ford Racing ones somewhere else for $100, you will have to throw down another $75 for the tune at Brenspeed so you end up damn near buying the Steeda CMCP deletes anyways. He backs his sh*t up 100% and does a great job, so for me the price is worth it, but I could see where there would be complaints for extremely price sensitive customers.