Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Metal polish to clean up muffler tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:15 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

Default Metal polish to clean up muffler tips?

All,

Can someone recommend a metal polish to clean up my flowmaster tips? Just the car wash is not doing it...I'm gonna need something to help get that grime off.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:21 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Metal polish to clean up muffler tips?

Theres a couple, one is called Peek its a multi-metal polish. Another is called sparkle. Basically all you need is a stainless steel cleaner/polish, you can find these at almost any grocery store.
Make sure you try a test area first to see if it burns and blackens. I know some of the polishes cant handle heat and tend to burn.
-P.
PS: I think Mother's (<--thats a brand name) makes a stainles steel polish, you can usually find it at your local autoparts store.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:23 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I have found two that work well:

First off is the "wadding" style of chrome polish. It looks like cotton that is saturated with a cleaning agent. You pull a little ball out of the can and use it to polish with. Any auto parts store will have this.

The other one that works great is called "Blue Job". It was originally made for polishingexhaust pipes on Harleys and other motorcycles. This stuff works fantastic, and it's designed for exhaust, so it doesn't burn or turn funky after you've applied it.

Be careful, some generic stainless steel or chrome cleaners cannot handle exhaust heat. If there is any residue left over after polishing, the heat from the exhaust can burn or "bake on" the residue. If you have any doubt, always wipe down the tips with some solvent after polishing, that way there is no residue to worry about.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

I always use Mother's Metal Polish....comes in a little red and white can.

And believe it or not, Coca-Cola rubbed on with balled up aluminum foil works too. Never tried it myself but I saw the Mythbusters do it.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:28 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I keep a coat of wax on them after polishing and the dirt always comes off easily after that.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:37 PM
06gt5spd
2nd Gear Member

I've used mother's in the past and it worked well, but I just bought something else. I seen it used on others but have yet to try it on mine. It's called Master Formula metal gloss and sealer gloss. They say to put the sealer on after polishing and it will keep the shine!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It'scalled never dull and the Navy uses it for all their brass on ship. I use never dull on most metal surfaces. Works good on polished aluminum as well.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

First off is the "wadding" style of chrome polish. It looks like cotton that is saturated with a cleaning agent. You pull a little ball out of the can and use it to polish with. Any auto parts store will have this.

The other one that works great is called "Blue Job". It was originally made for polishingexhaust pipes on Harleys and other motorcycles. This stuff works fantastic, and it's designed for exhaust, so it doesn't burn or turn funky after you've applied it.

Be careful, some generic stainless steel or chrome cleaners cannot handle exhaust heat. If there is any residue left over after polishing, the heat from the exhaust can burn or "bake on" the residue. If you have any doubt, always wipe down the tips with some solvent after polishing, that way there is no residue to worry about.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:47 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

It'scalled never dull and the Navy uses it for all their brass on ship. I use never dull on most metal surfaces. Works good on polished aluminum as well.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

+1 on never dull.....awesome stuff.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:49 PM
GTJUNKIE
2nd Gear Member

+1 for mothers polish but I also use EXTREME metal polish cotten with polish soaked in.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Theres tons of stuff out there.
I use NanoPolish on my flow tips.
http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...sp?itemid=1120

Quick Reply: Metal polish to clean up muffler tips?