Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need Some Direction (Exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Maveric

Default Need Some Direction (Exhaust)

Alright,

I have been waiting and reading and waiting and reading and well you get the idea. I want to do a cat back system and have heard everything from Corsa to MAC.

What I am looking for is a deep throaty sound (OLD MUSCLE) somthing when you lay into it, GROWLS and lets others know whats up. Price is really a non-issue if its inline with what I am looking for. I could really care less about gains, as it is pretty consistant that you will not recive any and that this is an athstestic mod anyway.

I would appreciate hearing your sound files but would really like direction more than anything.

My current mods (not that it will affect the exhaust)
C&L CAI
SCT CUSTOM TUNE
4.10's IN THE REAR

Im looking to go with the best this car in my mind only deserves the best, yet as I stated as long as the best is in line with my preferance.

/Maveric
Old 01-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Some Direction (Exhaust)

Stick with axle back. The stock over axle pipe is fine there is no reason to replace it. This will save you some $.

As for as which axle back... Stingers are very deep. I havnt heard anything as deep as the stingers. My warning though is if you get some LTs or an OR pipe they are going to be LOUD and drone like crazy. Drone doesnt bother me though.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:08 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I had Borla stingers on with long tubes and the drone was to much. Switched to Corsas which eliminated the drone completely but they were not as deep or loud. Finally found what I think is the best product out there that has it all, ZOOMERS! Exceptional finish, deep sound, and no drone.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Maveric

Stick with axle back. The stock over axle pipe is fine there is no reason to replace it. This will save you some $
Ok now I have heard two things here:

1. What you said (pretty much throwing money down the drain).

2. New pipes are mandrel bent and wider and alow for more flow.

..... So whats the truth?

As for as which axle back... Stingers are very deep. I havnt heard anything as deep as the stingers. My warning though is if you get some LTs or an OR pipe they are going to be LOUD and drone like crazy. Drone doesnt bother me though.
Deep is good.. (or atleaste thats what she said) ... Anyway I am off to destroy the web looking for stinger sound clips. I plan on getting headers in the future LTs or shortys I havent gotten there yet. I have heard that H pipe is the way to go and that an X sounds raspier (im not into raspy in my car) a little drone is acceptable as this is not a Touring Sedan and wont be taken on long trips.

Keep the info comming it helps more than you might think.

I had Borla stingers on with long tubes and the drone was to much. Switched to Corsas which eliminated the drone completely but they were not as deep or loud. Finally found what I think is the best product out there that has it all, ZOOMERS! Exceptional finish, deep sound, and no drone.
Ok these sound good ... who would have thought ZOOMERS???? WTF? Who are these people just kidding they sound and look very nice... this is a good option also.

BTW,
Borla is out of the picture I don't like the way they sound they seem to crack and are not consistant enough of a sound.

/Maveric
Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Stock pipes are mandrel bent. The over axle pipes are flattened a bit just at the rear axle but it is very small. Just makes it a little oval shaped. IMO there is no way the small amount of flatening is restricting air flow. Just crawl under there and take a look. The stock exhaust is pretty damn good.

I think an X pipe sounds good as long as the mufflers are not the baffled type. I have Kooks LT headers with matching X pipe and it is very loud. While accelerating I cant carry on a conversation with a passenger, while cruising I can as long as the passenger doesnt talk real low.

And when looking for Stingers remember they are the same as the FRPP non GTA mufflers. The FRPP ones can be had cheaper and I like them better because they say Ford Racing on the tips.

I dont know what u mean by crack but the reason I like the Stingers with an X pipe is it smooths the tone out.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:29 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The OEM overaxle pipes are already extremely good quality. The only "weakness" of them is that the passenger's side pipe has a small "dent" or "crimp" in it where it travels over the rear axle. The driver's side pipe doesn't have this. Aside from this ONE tiny (and smooth) "imperfection" there is no difference between the aftermarket "catback" and a simple axle-back kit.

I have never seen or heard of a dyno test or a review that actually shows any kind of flow gain to be had from changing the OEM overaxle pipes to aftermarket. I bought a catback, and in hindsight I wish that I didn't. There would have been far better uses for that money.

Perhaps if you're making 600 HP or more it would be a concern. But for 99% of us? Nope. Just stick with the axle back. If you don't to take our word for it, just have a look under the car yourself and you can see how nice the pipes are.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Maveric

Ok in the begining there was Borla, I was all about Borla borla borla. Then was talked out of them buy a few tunners in town and then got to hear them up close and personal there is a "crackle" it might be insignificant and hard to explain what it sounds like to me but its just my opinion.

Now one thing we did get accomplished tonight (Eastern Time) is that we will not replace the over axle pipes (cat back) we will do axle back, what is there to loose if it becomes a problem I can always throw up new pipes right? But for now -600hp like you said whats the point . So thats one thing fixed.

I really am leaning twards Corsa, yet those ZOOMERS (spelling) I already went to the site and asked for a quote. So thats where we are at any other suggestions are more than welcome thank you for your information/experiance.

/Maveric
Old 01-18-2007, 11:41 PM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

I LOVE my exhaust setup. Its a very LOUD growl not deep though, has a very race-like sound. Drones like crazy..i love it!
Old 01-19-2007, 12:02 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

What I am looking for is a deep throaty sound (OLD MUSCLE) somthing when you lay into it, GROWLS and lets others know whats up.
You might want to consider the SLP loudmouth. Here's a good video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AupRN3hHsK0

Plenty of other vids of various exhaust setups on youtube.com
Old 01-20-2007, 12:34 AM
Maveric

Alright, so I really like the SLP's and was just wondering about if there is SERIOUS drone in the cabin with these.

Great now I like the Zoomers, Corsa and SLP's... Yet I really like the idle and downshift of the SLPs.... Its a relly nice gurgle.

Any others that might confuse me some more? No really I would like to see all of my options but I am liking the SLPs very much so.

/Maveric

Quick Reply: Need Some Direction (Exhaust)