Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Leaving it stock

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:45 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Leaving it stock

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

Doesn't seem worth it to me just to get a little bit better gas mileage - or maybe no improvement at all in the price I pay for gas. And it sounds like a relative mild boost in HP, too.

Not trying to discount the whole thing, but it just doesn't seem worth the money to me. Of course, I realize that the reason most of you guys get the CAI is for more power, and it's hard to put a dollar value on that.
Don't get it then... it sounds like a faster car, that responds A LOT better is not that important to you. Don't let anybody on here make you feel bad if that's not what you want. But as far as I'm concerned I would never in a million years want to leave it stock. There DEFINITELY is a NOTICEABLE difference with the CAI and tune, but if you're happy stock, knock yourself out.

Oh and you can run an 87 tune that's great btw so you wouldn't have to go to 93. thats purely optional with the tune and the mild mods you would have.
ORIGINAL: UrS4

And it sounds like a relative mild boost in HP, too.

Not trying to discount the whole thing, but it just doesn't seem worth the money to me. Of course, I realize that the reason most of you guys get the CAI is for more power, and it's hard to put a dollar value on that.
If 25-30 whp is a mild boost in power for a car that started out with 265whp stock, then I would like to know your definition of mild is. For $300-$600 depending on the CAI +/- a tuner you are increasing your power by ~10%. A CAI+Tuner is the most cost efficient mod you can do this side of nitrous for these cars. Plus the S197 responds better than previous NA mustangs.

For less than $1K you can have CAI, tuner, gears which can shave 0.8 sec in the quarter or more. . . um . . . that's not mild, that's significant!

But hey, that's just me, if youmakea decision on whether to do a modification based on if it will pay you back at the pump, then good for you. You will save a lot more money than me.
Sorry, guys. I didn't mean to sound critical of your knowlege and what you're doing. I'm just trying to figure out things.

Didn't realize that you could still use 87 octane gas. That does change some of the calculations.

Noticeable difference in performance, huh? I've never driven one with a CAI - I've only driven my Mustang - so I'll have to trust you guys that say it makes a noticeable difference. 10% boost in WHP? And I still use 87 octane and get a little better gas mileage? And they can be had for like $600 or $800 including the tuner? Hmmm... it's a long time until my birthday...

Okay, how do they work? Do they get the air directly thorough the grill instead of from around the engine? Is that what makes them work?

Thanks for your patience with me, guys. I'm new to this whole muscle car thing, and I'm just learning. I love "Gone in 60 Seconds", though. Does that count?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:26 AM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for your patience with me, guys. I'm new to this whole muscle car thing, and I'm just learning. I love "Gone in 60 Seconds", though. Does that count?
Bill, yeah that counts...lol.. Here's a pic... All in all, its a very easy installation. The CAI combined with a tune ( a little handheld computer that plugs in under your steering wheel) will wake up your car like you never knew. Oh and when I first started on the forum, I had no idea about anything pertaining to this car but after sticking around the forum and doing some of my own installations, I understand things soooooooo much better now. Its easy to pick up and you'll be speaking the lingo and modding like a pro in no time.

Jordan.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30670/CBFD3738F7914DDCBC7A5BFFB58A1400.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-23-2007, 02:01 AM
MyGrabberOrangeGT
2nd Gear Member

I was planning on leaving her stock for quite some time. Was is the key word now. The GTA's arrived today. Now I have to decide on which CAI/Tuner to get, which shifter, the K member/torque limiters, and the list goes on..............

[IMG]local://upfiles/53664/AA87131E36DF4D9B9130B056529BC6E8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-23-2007, 02:37 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

Bill, yeah that counts...lol.. Here's a pic... All in all, its a very easy installation. The CAI combined with a tune ( a little handheld computer that plugs in under your steering wheel) will wake up your car like you never knew. Oh and when I first started on the forum, I had no idea about anything pertaining to this car but after sticking around the forum and doing some of my own installations, I understand things soooooooo much better now. Its easy to pick up and you'll be speaking the lingo and modding like a pro in no time.

Jordan.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30670/CBFD3738F7914DDCBC7A5BFFB58A1400.gif[/IMG]
Actually, the computer part I understand pretty well except I'm not familiar with automotive electronics. I have been a programmer for 37 years, and I am presently an embedded programmer for Fluke Electronics, who make, among other things, those professional grade yellow digital voltmeters. I write programs for hand held telephone line testers. I haven't been an embedded programmer for all of those 37 years because, among other things, I had already been a programmer for about 7 or 8 years when the first microprocessors came out.

Anyway, a question to you and anyone else who may know. I know that interface cables to be able to plug a laptop into the car are available since I've seen them on TV. I'd imagine that some of those are priced like any professional gear - probably out of the reach of most of us. But are any relatively affordable interface cables and software available? Or maybe there are even web sites that tell you how to make interface cables. Maybe even shareware software?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:41 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

If you don't gosub a program loop, you'll never get a subroutine....go for it
Old 01-23-2007, 07:25 AM
06SSGT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

If you don't gosub a program loop, you'll never get a subroutine....go for it
Um, what?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:43 AM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Don't be too misled by the numbers. The ~10% increase in hp is with a 93 tune. With an 87 you won't get that 25-27 rwhp...you'd be looking at 20-22 tops. The increase in horsepower from the higher octane is also a factor in gas mileage, so you probably wouldn't see as dramatic an increase running 87 (at least it didn't seem too impressive to me before I loaded up on 91).

This is not to take anything away from a CAI+tune combo. I loved it even before Brent fixed it...now it is insane. I don't get anywhere near the mpg everyone else posts because Tucson sucks with traffic and roads, and I drive at least 85-90 (and usually accelerate to over 100 in some parts) between Tucson and Phoenix thus destroying my highway numbers.